if(localStorage.getItem('highscore') === null){

localStorage.setItem('highscore',score);

}

else if(score > localStorage.getItem('highscore')){

localStorage.setItem('highscore',score);

}

}

Note that you have to do something like:

var highScore = localStorage.getItem('highscore');if(highScore  === null) { // If there is no highScore (game is started for the first time on this device)    localStorage.setItem('highscore', 0);    highScore = 0;}

So that when the game loads you also load the high score. If you do exactly how shonan exemplified, then each time you launch the game the high score will reset to 0, which then makes the use of localStorage useless.

Also, instead of declaring them globally I recommend adding them either to your game object or to a custom namespace so you don't pollute the global namespace.

Something like:

// On game load or initgame.score = 0;game.highScore = localStorage.getItem('highscore');if(game.highScore  === null) {    localStorage.setItem('highscore', 0);    game.highScore = 0;}

or create a function in order to not pollute the global space

var score = score || {};score = { saveScore: function(amount){ window.localstorage.setItem("game-score",amount);},getScore: function(){ var result = window.localstorage.getItem("game-score"); if(result === "null" || result === "undefined") {   localStorage.setItem("game-score", 0);   result = window.localstorage.getItem("game-score"); } return result;}};// call it like thisscore.saveScore(10);window.console.log("THE SCORE IS: ",score.getScore());

or create a function in order to not pollute the global space

var result = window.localstorage.getItem("game-score"); if(result === null || result === undefined) {

I don't think result can ever be undefined. If the key does not exist, than it will be null as per localStorage.getItem specs. If the key exist and for some reason undefined is stored there, then it will be stored as a String, as every data stored in localStorage is a String.  Thus result will be equal to 'undefined' and undefined == 'undefined' returns false.

Note that you have to do something like:

var highScore = localStorage.getItem('highscore');if(highScore  === null) { // If there is no highScore (game is started for the first time on this device)    localStorage.setItem('highscore', 0);    highScore = 0;}

So that when the game loads you also load the high score. If you do exactly how shonan exemplified, then each time you launch the game the high score will reset to 0, which then makes the use of localStorage useless.

Also, instead of declaring them globally I recommend adding them either to your game object or to a custom namespace so you don't pollute the global namespace.

Something like:

// On game load or initgame.score = 0;game.highScore = localStorage.getItem('highscore');if(game.highScore  === null) {    localStorage.setItem('highscore', 0);    game.highScore = 0;}

if I follow your way is the score will be preserved if I reload my game ?