Flip a viewport to create a rear-view mirror

Joakim

Hi

I am making a small car game in which I have different camera views. When viewing from within the vehicle I display two viewports showing the view of two rearward-facing cameras.

Does anyone know if it is possible to flip the view of from these cameras (or flipping the viewports) to mimic the behavior of a mirror?

Thank you!

• 5 months later...

Hi again! I would like to give this subject some closure.

I tried this approach again, and this time I got it to work! I was able to extend your example by adding a "screen" which renders a mirrored camera view.
See the text marked with "ADDED". The result is shown when the camera is rotated.
http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#145AGC#8

The solution was simply to set the "uScale" to -1, and not to forget to call the "render" function in the "registerBeforeRender" event.

When implementing this in my game I ran in to a problem. The "activeCamera" on the texture was always the scene's active camera. It turned out I had to upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 to fix this issue.

After that, I ran in to some new, unrelated problems; my way of moving the "driver's" camera does no longer work in 2.3 - I will have to work on that =)

Coooooool!  Hi J, welcome to the forum!   Hey, do you "need" to use mirrors?  RenderTargetTexture might be more powerful than you think.

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1WROZH#6

Is there anything in that goofy playground... that could help your cause?  Why use mirrors when we can duct-tape a camera to the back of our helmet?  :D Talk again soon.