How feasable is it to make the same game in Vanilla webgl vs babyon

Nikos123

I'm wondering if you guys have made any games in vanilla webgl vs babylon and could share your experience.

I'm having trouble getting the most basic thing to work an started looking at the webgl api.

http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/16554-using-webpack-to-bundle-babylon-and-using-typescript/#entry93232

Actually vanilla webgl seems pretty cool so I'm wondering why bother with babylonjs?

Same old good question : why to use, or not, a framework ?

You could have asked it about webapp frameworks, client-side webapp framework, network framework, etc ...

Frameworks help to abstract the low level API, to avoid the boilerplate, to optimize things, to focus only on the application logic, and so on.

They cost the framework learning, the framework assumptions and the framework used memory.

Just a question of personal choice, imho.

Hey,

Sincerely, good luck if you're going with pure WebGL. Just look at the math libraries of BJS and that will give you a slight idea of what you'll need to implement to handle your transformations. You'll also have to handle all the buffers yourself, write code to handle GL states switching and buffering, and everything related to shaders too. BJS does a very good job at hiding all that, but you should take a look at the StandardMaterial code and its associated shaders to have an idea of what it takes to render "simple" shaded geometry.

Using a framework or not is always an option, for sure. But if you want to create an actual game, going without one (be it BJS or any other) is in my honest opinion completely unrealistic :)

Good luck with your project!

You could ask this question about any framework/paradigm/programming language you might be using.

Why use angular? you can implement everything on your own :-) Why use jQuery? Unity? JDK? C++? Everything can be written in assembly...

Everything has an upside and a downside. To get the best results, you should use the smallest amount of dependencies. You should try implementing things on your own, when you see that it might benefit your application, BUT, there are certain things that will save you time. And time is money. And money makes the world go round.

Hey,

Sincerely, good luck if you're going with pure WebGL. Just look at the math libraries of BJS and that will give you a slight idea of what you'll need to implement to handle your transformations. You'll also have to handle all the buffers yourself, write code to handle GL states switching and buffering, and everything related to shaders too. BJS does a very good job at hiding all that, but you should take a look at the StandardMaterial code and its associated shaders to have an idea of what it takes to render "simple" shaded geometry.

Using a framework or not is always an option, for sure. But if you want to create an actual game, going without one (be it BJS or any other) is in my honest opinion completely unrealistic :)

Good luck with your project!

Well I guess I was reading the Modzilla docs and it seemed simple to me

Sometimes example are better than words.

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#12TOEP#0

21 lines .... don't know if you have allready entered your webgl initialisation code .....

wow that is pretty cool for that code. I was just thinking that for my game I could do more with native webgl but I need to think more about this.

Anyway, anyone used babylon with webpack?