limejs, your thoughts

happy

Morning,

I've just recently started fiddling around developing a simple html5 game using limejs with Google's Closure library. So far limejs has given me everything I need. The audio support included with limejs is the only thing I've substituted, it worked however seemed a little unstable and relied on html5 support being available.

The documentation is good enough. I've read that there is a big community of limejs users, however I'm yet to find it. When I Google for topics or problems, I find very little online with the exception of a Google mailing list that doesn't seem hugely active.

Which brings me to my question. What do you guys think of the limejs framework? Do many people use it as a serious development tool forvhtml5 games and applications?

Cheers,

I've had a good play with it, but never used it in a final game - don't let that be any kind of indication though, everyone has their own needs and ways of working, and for some I'm sure LimeJS works perfectly. I would say don't worry too much what other devs think, so long as it does what YOU need that is all that matters right? Plus the main developer of it is a cool guy, I guess also just very busy as updates are a bit slow sometimes.

As a user a tested a lot of the html5 game frameworks and as a dev i started making my own after several days of sprite animation battles :P My desicion was made as I don't want to build a whole engine but I want to build a game so I started looking what other people use.

And now about LimeJs my point of view is that it's no so feature ready and didn't hook me up. But also the only one engine in which I spent more coding time and I think is very cool but not production ready is CraftyJS. 

Also I truly recommend this project: http://city41.github.io/breakouts/

as you can easily see the coding principles and engine conventions and structure of the leading js engines.

You still can fiddle with them and then pick the one you like most.

Also I have e personal favourite which is still not in the list above and it's phaser ;) you can check it out too.

Thanks for your replies, Rich, Mike,

I'll look at those alternatives you suggested Mike, thanks.

limejs so far, the biggest plus from a beginners point of view is that I was able to get started very quickly. The learning curve was really small. The only real downside I see is what you have mentioned Mike, in that its not all that featured packed yet. Looking at the github page, there is only one developer that commits any large amounts of code and a few other contributors that add some code, but not massive amounts.

I do actually really like limejs and will complete my current project using limejs, and then I wanted to make a scrolling platform game, and scrolling support is not built into limejs yet so will probably explore one of the other options above for this.

Cheers,

h