How render() works?

Aaron Wang

30 minutes ago, xerver said:
  • This is browser js, everything is blocking. The js context is blocked until js stops running.
  • The entire canvas is painted, it is also cleared (but that behavior is configurable)
  • Can you be more specific?

When I'm making changes, will it be faster if I try to reuse PIXI objects as much as possible, and only update objects' properties? Will it be slower if I just remove all children and add new ones from scratch? As you can imagine, create new ones from scratch will be simpler for the logic, but I'm afraid it will impact performance.

What impact performance the most? Number of objects? Layers of objects? Size of objects? Size of canvas?

How does Sprite compare with Graphics and Text on performance?

Is there a best practice or anti-pattern guide for performance?

Thanks.

When I'm making changes, will it be faster if I try to reuse PIXI objects as much as possible, and only update objects' properties?

Of course, allocation is expensive.

Will it be slower if I just remove all children and add new ones from scratch?

If you are adding/removing the same object you are wasting time you didn't need to spend so I wouldn't do that.

As you can imagine, create new ones from scratch will be simpler for the logic, but I'm afraid it will impact performance.

Actually, if you use object pooling the complexity is relatively the same.

What impact performance the most? Number of objects? Layers of objects? Size of objects? Size of canvas?

Depends on your application. Most of the draw performance things are just general OpenGL and JavaScript best practices, not much pixi-specific stuff. We do automatic batching while walking the scene tree by not calling gl draw until we need to flush the batch (texture change, max batch size, etc). Just follow gl/js best practices and you will be good to go.

How does Sprite compare with Graphics and Text on performance?

They don't compare, they do different things and solve different problems in different ways. Sprite is for drawing a texture, graphics for primitives, text for writting text using the browser text engine.

Is there a best practice or anti-pattern guide for performance?

Like I said, nearly all of it is just general OpenGL and JS best practices. Only things to keep in mind, as in any game app, are to reduce allocations and reduce draw calls. We also provide .destroy() methods to all pixi objects to ensure we lose references (so it can be garbage collected) and to cleanup GL memory if necessary.