Parallax Backgrounds

LuckieLordie

It depends on the effect you're after. I mean I know you want parallax of course, but if it's say for a repeating background image then I would handle it differently than if it's just for a bunch of sprites moving around.

If possible make use of the Tiling Sprites. They are really cheap to draw and you can alter the scroll speed using. Overlay a few tile sprites on-top of each other, with different scroll speeds and you could make a lovely easy parallax effect.

Otherwise you will need to do it on a sprite speed level really.

It depends on the effect you're after. I mean I know you want parallax of course, but if it's say for a repeating background image then I would handle it differently than if it's just for a bunch of sprites moving around.

If possible make use of the Tiling Sprites. They are really cheap to draw and you can alter the scroll speed using. Overlay a few tile sprites on-top of each other, with different scroll speeds and you could make a lovely easy parallax effect.

Otherwise you will need to do it on a sprite speed level really.

Cool the TileSprite way seems like it suits what I'm trying to do a bit better. I'm looking at the TileSprite section in the docs but there doesn't seem to be a property I can change to alter the scroll speed. Do you know what it's called?

Thanks a lot for the last few days by the way these forums have been really helpful!

• 4 weeks later...

For future people searching "parallax" on the forums, the TileMapLayer object has two properties, ScrollFactorX and ScrollFactorY that are worth looking into. from TilemapLayer.js:

"speed at which this layer scrolls horizontally, relative to the camera (e.g. scrollFactorX of 0.5 scrolls half as quickly as the 'normal' camera-locked layers do)"