Obj babylon models need more understanding

chicagobob123

I am not clear. Are models always loaded directly to the scene? Can I get the models mesh and use it like a primitive?

I want to apply the mesh to particles or take the geometry and apply different textures to it that are different colors. In my case, swapping textures to a container to indicate different vendors. 

The babylon format seems to include an entire scene from blender when all I want is the model. Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks

Hi @chicagobob123

you are mostlikely using the scene importer, while you should be using the mesh importer :)

if your file is a .babylon, see below code. assetName can be empty.

//Variable('s)
var container;

//Import
BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh("assetNameIfAny", "assetsFolder/", "myContainer.babylon", scene, function (newMeshes)
 {  
   //Assuming your container is the first(or only) mesh/object in the file.
   container = newMeshes[0];
   container.isVisible = false;
 });

//continue with instancing or copying & applying texture if it isn't already,

//remember setting yourCopiedOrInstancedMesh.isVisible = true; or if you choose to use the original imported mesh in your scene aswell, you can remove the isVisible completely.

Bob, if you only want to import a specific mesh what @aWeirdo describes above is one way to do it.

Other ways would be:

1. To delete lights, cameras etc and to export from Blender only the mesh you want. This will give you a couple of warnings in the log file telling you you don't have a  light or camera - but the file will work.

2. To move lights and cameras etc to another layer. Then export only the layer with your mesh in it. Same warning as 1.

Then you can use the method outlined by @JCPalmerin this thread

cheers, gryff :)