Dynamic asset loading in WebGL

arnuschky

You can destroy resources yes, but it's up to the browser when they are eventually garbage collected. There's certainly no way to force something to be unloaded at a specific time, more just a "please delete this when you can". This is the reason no engines that run in a browser actually truly support it.

You can destroy resources yes, but it's up to the browser when they are eventually garbage collected. There's certainly no way to force something to be unloaded at a specific time, more just a "please delete this when you can". This is the reason no engines that run in a browser actually truly support it.

There's a call on CocoonJS to control this now (for images only, I think, just call img.dispose()). The question is: does the architecture of Pixi support dynamic unloading of textures? For instance, can I load a spritemap for each level, and each time I switch level I unload the old and one load the new one? Does that work properly with the WebGL texture maps?

Just make sure to destroy your textures when you are done with them. `texture.destroy(true)` will remove it from WebGL memory.

Cleaning up the javascript objects can be done the same way you remove resources in javascript anywhere else, null out your references and let the GC clean up later.