[WIP] Pakyra, a turn-based strategy game

steveo16

Howdy folks, I've been working on a browser-based game as sort of a side project / portfolio piece, and it's finally to a point where it seems to be playable from most devices.

https://www.pakyra.com/

Pakyra is a turn-based strategy game you can play in your browser.  It has single player mode (just click the Play Pakyra button), or you can play against a friend.

The first player to score 2 points wins.  Players have to place 5 chips in a row (in any direction) to score a point.  The catch is, you can only place chips on board cells if you have the cell's card in your hand.  2's are wild, so if you have a 2 in your hand you can place a chip on any open cell.  2's are often reserved to either score a point (get a 5th chip in a row), or to block an opponent's point.

I'm afraid I'm not much of an artist / designer, so animations are limited to some simple CSS3 bounce effects.  Pakyra currently uses a long polling mechanism to refresh client state, but the goal is to eventually implement some sort of WebSocket solution.

The single player AI could still use some work, but it's managed to beat me more than once.  Because players' playing options are limited to the cards they draw, there is an aspect of luck involved.

Hopefully an official version 1 release will be ready by about mid-summer, but in the meantime, please feel free to take it for a test drive :)

point7-cf.gif

Thanks man :)  The engagement factor is definitely something I want to work on.  I got some feedback to remove the "Place Chip" popover and just place the chip as soon as someone clicks on the board cell.  Another thing that's come up is switching from long polling to WebSockets.  The 7 second long poll leads to a bit of a lag in single player mode.  The AI actually makes its play immediately, but it can take up to ~13 seconds in some cases before the player sees the move.  But man, the switch to WebSockets is going to require a pretty big refactor that I'm just not sure I have the energy for right now :unsure: