Mac Compatability?

ReleeSquirrel

So I was all excited to make games with Phaser, and I decided to show my friends the Phaser Breakout example on the front page news. Works fine for me and my other friend using Windows, but my friend using a Mac has his whole computer crash. He returns to our skype call freaking out because his Mac made scary noises and force quit. In his words "Basically, sound cut off, screen went grey, and up popped a message saying "You need to restart your computer, hold down the power button to restart."

I had him load one of the examples from the examples, the one with einstein moving right, and it crashed again, the same. I was really confused and worried 'cause how in the hell is HTML5 Canvas crashing his mac? He uses the latest version of Firefox, same as me, and it works fine for me of course.

I had him try Mozilla's BrowserQuest, an HTML5 based mini MMO, and it worked fine. Whatever is going on is a Phaser problem, apparently.

Does anyone else here have a mac? Any idea how this is even possible?

I develop on my macbook pro (2012 13" retina) almost all the time, using firefox, chrome and safari with no difficulties at all. 

there's really nothing you can do in javascript ("HTML 5") that is going to crash a machine unless the browser has a very serious bug. 

Few things to try:

1. Try running a phaser game/example in canvas only mode ( new Phaser.Game(800, 600, Phaser.CANVAS... )

2. Ask him to try with google chrome.

3. Make sure his video card driver are up to date.

If all fail there isn't much you can do it's an issue with his computer or a very specific bug on the mac version of firefox.

• 4 months later...