Have my alpha and fade it?

qqdarren

I'm trying to get a particle effect where it starts off a bright orange, then becomes one that is grey, spread out and getting fainter. (Think fire turning into smoke).

I started with a playground entry by @Wingnut (reference below), which I've cut back to just show one particle stream.

I seem to be stuck on the "fade to invisible" idea. As I increase particle size they tend to get brighter. In fact it feels like my changes to particle.color.a (line 97) are not having any effect:

http://playground.babylonjs.com/#D1QNY#3

I tried switching to BABYLON.ParticleSystem.BLENDMODE_STANDARD (line 35), and now they are fading to invisible:            

http://playground.babylonjs.com/#D1QNY#2

If you change line 97 to:

particle.color.a = Math.max(0.0, 0.7 - ar);

it becomes clearer, as they fade to invisible about 70% of the way down the tree.

But you'll instantly see the problem with BLENDMODE_STANDARD, as the alpha channel in the png is ignored. I.e. this option seems to only be of use if you want square particles.

So is there a way to have my cake and eat it? Be able to use particles of interesting shape/pattern, but also be able to fade them away?

That image shows the problem: the white circles are not getting fainter: they are just as bright and semi-transparent at the bottom as they were in the middle of the tree. In fact you shouldn't see anything at all in the bottom 30% of the tree, because alpha has been set to zero by that point onwards.

If you swap lines 34 and 35 (in http://playground.babylonjs.com/#D1QNY#5), i.e. switch to BLENDMODE_STANDARD you will see the correct behaviour. BUT, then I get those ugly black squares around each particle.

Thanks @Deltakosh ! I'd not realized flare.png had no alpha channel (because it behaved as if it did, with BLENDMODE_ONEONE)! Here is a summary of the 4 possibilities, when used with:

ps.color1 = ps.color2 = new BABYLON.Color4(1, 1, 1, 1.0);
    ps.colorDead = new BABYLON.Color4(1, 1, 1, 0.0);

(I.e. fade each particle out, over its lifetime)

JPG/PNG with no transparency:  (e.g. flare.png)

• BLENDMODE_STANDARD: Fade works, but black border around white circle.
  • BLENDMODE_ONEONE: Black border automatically becomes transparent, but fade does not work

PNG with transparency: (e.g. flare.png opened in GIMP, Colors|ColorToAlpha, select black.)

• BLENDMODE_STANDARD: Fade works!
  • BLENDMODE_ONEONE: No fade, and everything horribly over-exposed. (It seems it now treats it as a 1-bit image?)

I wanted to summarize this as always use BLENDMODE_STANDARD! But apart from the lack of fade-out, BLENDMODE_ONEONE is giving a much better effect in my real code!! Aaarrgghhh! It seems I can't have my cake and eat it, after all! (I guess I'll experiment with using two sets of particles, next.)

(BTW, no playground examples, as I don't know how to upload my transparent version of flare.png)