Intergalactic Battleships

alex_h

Here's my first HTML5 game, it's a port of a battleships game I made in flash a few years ago. I wanted to aim this version at mobile users in general but I think it might be a bit too small and fiddly on phones really, it works great on an iPad mini though. I built it with plain javascript in Notepad++, as part of this process I ended up making myself a nice framework with DisplayObjectContainers, Sound Manager, etc which I'm now using in other client work so it's been a very worthwhile experience. I'm thinking about having a look at this Typescript that everybody seems so excited about next...

post-119-0-80126100-1364592404.jpg

post-119-0-89280500-1364592419.jpg

I only just finished the game so haven't really had time to finish thoroughly checking for bugs - if anybody spots any issues do please let me know!

I'm planning to look into getting it onto some games portals or the like once I'm confident it's really ready.

Here's the link:

Hi prtksxna, thanks for trying my game. No, I didn't think of including a mute button actually! It would be very easy to add one, maybe up in the top left corner of the screen as that stays pretty much unused throughout I think.

Thanks Paratron, I'm adjusting the values that I use for my call to clearRect whenever the window is resized, so I must be setting them incorrectly under some circumstances. I'd better get that fixed then!

Well, I don't know if the resize event is fired when I cange the orientation of the phone, as well as when I switch to the fullscreen mode to get rid of safari's control bars.

For the orientation change, there seems to be a own event that is being triggered on iOS safari. After a quick look on stackoverflow, there should be a event for fullscreen, too.

I hope this helps :)

Yeah I'm running my resize handler on orientationchange as well as resize event. I've not tried listening for a fullscreen event though, so maybe that is whats missing! Thanks for your help on this.

Following your earlier advice prtksxna I have now added a mute button.

And thanks to Paratron for pointing out the clearRect error - I've now tracked down the source of this bug and fixed it.

Thanks again folks, really appreciate your input.

cheers!

• 4 months later...

Thanks eurohan, yeah I need to add a sound groups feature to my sound manager so that I can easily implement this in all my games. The other thing that has made me put off doing this job till later is that then I'd need to have a settings panel rather than just have a mute button, and then you'd expect it to remember your preferences and so on and so on. Basically it ends up being a much bigger job than it initially sounds. That's not to say that it isn't a job worth doing though!

cheers,

Alex

Thanks eurohan, yeah I need to add a sound groups feature to my sound manager so that I can easily implement this in all my games. The other thing that has made me put off doing this job till later is that then I'd need to have a settings panel rather than just have a mute button, and then you'd expect it to remember your preferences and so on and so on. Basically it ends up being a much bigger job than it initially sounds. That's not to say that it isn't a job worth doing though!

cheers,

Alex

Yeah that makes sense. What other games are you working on?