TilingSprite Performance

Dan335

I'm using 4 layers of fullscreen TilingSprites for a background.  Performance on laptops is bad.  Each frame I'm setting the tilePosition.  Any suggestions on how to get better performance and have the same parallax background? Can the TilingSprite code be simplified somehow?  http://astroe.io is the game.  I tried using CSS and a transparent renderer but performance wasn't much better.  If I take out the tilingSprites performance is great but I would really like to keep them.

That would be awesome Ivan.

My only other idea is use a sprite for each individual star.  One of the layers I can get rid of.  It adds to the effect but not enough to make it worth it.  I would have to update the position of each star every frame but maybe if they use the particle container and an object pool it would be fast enough.  That leaves only one layer done with TilingSprite for the hex grid. 

But maybe your idea would be faster.

I was running many sprites on my game which were static and only moved all together as the camera panned. I used RenderTexture every time I update the layer (not often), it improved performance on my laptop, not sure if it's an option here though.