Upgrading or replacing Phaser for performance (primarily particles)

morgan1879

Greetings to all!

This forum has helped for a year or so as I've delved into HTML5 game development starting with Phaser.  Recently branched out into PIXI and BabylonJS.

A project I have worked on over the past year in Phaser, was built using 2.5.0 and depended on some custom filters build around the included PIXI code (done by someone else, months ago)

My simple question to start is, is there an approach to dramatically improving Phaser's particles?

The specifics: testing on iOS 8, iPhone 5.   

The example on Phaser's website of snow falling starts smoothly on my phone but then after some seconds, the FPS drops dramatically (although the snow falling itself is slow to begin with).  The largest snowflakes are 64x64, and that's the same size as my smallest particle, and I have an interest for about 60 of them at most.  But still, on iPhone 5, the performance is somewhere around 40 FPS.  I have other particles that are much larger and numerous, but I'm filtering to just these for numbers and testing.

After checking out PIXI myself in the last couple weeks, I've found the bunnies demo, and I can be running thousands of sprites at apparently 60 FPS, right on my phone. 

Any recommendations or thoughts? I have recently download and am switching between 2.7.10, 2.6.2, to determine performance on mobile. Is there a way to slim down Phaser's overhead performance in the new 2.7.10 that I haven't seen?

I am interested too as I use particles to generate a lot of effects, desktop it is good performance but mobile really gets beat up. I see quite impressive mobile games so I am always curious if it is possible.