Creating isometric assets

KlamHuggeren

Hello all!

I'm currently making an isometric game using Phaser and the superb isometric plugin. However when it comes to creating assets I hit a wall. When searching online I don't really find something useful on best practice on creating isometric art but a few tutorials.

If I want to a few characters - say same form, different clothes - in eight directions should I use a program life Inkscape and draw all of the different angles or should I create a 3D model and take pictures. I find the information on the topic very lacking.

Thanks in advance for any answer! :-)

• 1 month later...

there is a book called AdvancED ActionScript 3.0 Animation which contains a great section on creating assets. I know it's a as3 book but it's super easy to translate and the asset creation is pretty well language agnostic. When I did my last dimetric/isometric (whatever term you prefer) I used a tutorial for blender to setup an orthographic camera and it really helped http://flarerpg.org/tutorials/isometric_tiles/ Best of luck it can be a real headache but a worthwhile effort imo.