Phaser on Google

Strato

Hello,

I just wanted to share with you my experience of discovering Phaser through a search engine. Google actually (french version).

When you google "Phaser", you find :

1. The GitHub repo.

5. Phaser as described on the Photon Storm website.

No link to the official website on the three first pages of results.

But the biggest problem to me is that the very first time I got interested in Phaser, I managed to find a webpage with a list of playable games with source code. Out of my memory, a tank game and a couple of others. Believe it or not, but right now, I can't manage to find this webpage.

Even worth. One of my colleagues told me and showed that there is actually a Phaser documentation. Again, believe it or not but I thought there was none. After two evenings I passed starting to use the Framework and even executing the Castlevania TypeScript tutorial on my computer, I thought one was supposed to learn through the tutorials and the blog posts showed on the official website. I remember he showed me you can access this documentation from the same website the playable games are. Since I can't find this webpage, I can't find the documentation either.

Conclusion : please, put a huge "Documentation" link at the top of the homepage of the Phaser's website.

As a test, I just tried to find the documentation as I was writing this post. I finally found the hidden link : "Try out 160+ Phaser Examples" on the GitHub README.md. And it links to a third website : gametest.mobi. It took me two minutes but I knew I was supposed to find one somewhere.

I saw later that the source code for the tank game was on GitHub yes. But I didn't see the documentation, and frankly reading a documentation GitHub is not really practical.

On the positive side, I really like Phaser so far. It's really easy to learn and use. But to keep giving you insights on my experience learning it, I'm trying to figure out of to handle collision of sprites with tiles, and so far I haven't find an example. Only sprite against sprite. The documentation for TileSet says "A Tile set is a combination of an image containing the tiles and collision data per tile." but as far as I can see, you cannot configure the collision for the tilset inside its constructor, you have to do it afterwards with the "setCollision" method. So I guess I'm supposed to have a picture representing the tileset, and a JSON object representing the collision map.

Hello Strato,

I agree with one of your complaints and it's the need for a link for the examples and documentation from: phaser.io

Other than that the github repo is always the latest and finest source of information. :)

Ahh and the game list with source code you said is probably: http://pgl.ilinov.eu/ - which is pinned here in the forum.

I saw later that the source code for the tank game was on GitHub yes. But I didn't see the documentation, and frankly reading a documentation GitHub is not really practical.

That's not really what I meant. When you checkout the Phaser repository, or even if you just download the zip file, you get all of the documentation and examples ready to run. The documentation is in the 'docs' folder and is just an html page you can open in any browser. The examples are the same (although they need to be served via a web server). So my question really was: did you just download the minified source or something? Or just not look through the folders once you had downloaded it?

I'm not complaining, just trying to understand how you could have missed it :)

To answer your question, I never clone GitHub repos unless I have a pull request to do on it. I just took the phaser.js, phaser.min.js and the phaser.d.ts from the master branch. By the way, it's boring since on GitHub you have to go to the raw version of the each file and save them by yourself. You should also consider to put an archive on the homepage with everything in it. I see you mention a zip file. Haven't seen it.

And actually I had a problem with the phaser.d.ts library since I was using TypeScript 0.9.5. As you know, it didn't suited, so I started to fix it myself until I saw somewhere I was supposed to use the phaser.d.ts from the DEV branch. It fixed all the problems.

By the way, it's boring since on GitHub you have to go to the raw version of the each file and save them by yourself. You should also consider to put an archive on the homepage with everything in it. I see you mention a zip file. Haven't seen it.

Тhat's because no one wants you to download single files :P 

Тhe zip is https://github.com/photonstorm/phaser - in the right column on the bottom just Clone in Desktop - which is what I personally recommend github for windows is cool :P

To answer your question, I never clone GitHub repos unless I have a pull request to do on it. I just took the phaser.js, phaser.min.js and the phaser.d.ts from the master branch. By the way, it's boring since on GitHub you have to go to the raw version of the each file and save them by yourself. You should also consider to put an archive on the homepage with everything in it. I see you mention a zip file. Haven't seen it.

It's in the right-hand column, a nice big shiny "Download zip" button. Had you clicked that you wouldn't have been left wondering where the docs/examples were ;) as it is I can't really cater for the way you approached getting the files, it's a bit too edge-case imho. I will add links to the docs from the github readme now though.