CustomMaterial: updating custom uniforms, custom alpha and precision

zhutq

Hi,

I find CustomMaterial a very powerful way to write my own materials :) I have three questions reguarding it:

1. Is there a way to update custom uniform values after AddUniform?

2. I use Fragment_Custom_Alpha, and compute alpha according to some uniform values. Can I tell the material to enable alpha blending?

3. Can I specify "precision highp float;" for it? I notice that Fragment_Begin is defined after #include<__decl__defaultFragment> , so it's late for precision.

Thank you very much!

hi @zhutq sorry i see it now  @Day72 thanks  too

answer 1 : yes you can update any uniform you most check the material.getEffect() after that be ready you can change it

like any shader material

material.getEffect()

https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#3WN9C6#1

answer 2 : https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#3WN9C6

you can make any custom alpha from this

sphere.material.Fragment_Custom_Alpha('result  = sin(vPositionW.x*20.01+vPositionW.z*20.01);');
 or sphere.material.Fragment_Custom_Alpha('alpha  = sin(vPositionW.x*20.01+vPositionW.z*20.01);');

answer 3 : it is  same as standard material but for now custommaterial can't   change that if you think that can be useful i can append that

documentation under progress ( committed under this week )

Thank you!

So I need to set alpha < 1 to enable alpha blending. I compute final alpha according to alpha and another value, so I thought it's better to have an additional value to affect needAlphaBlending. But anyway I can indeed achieve what I want :)

I think setting precision will be useful :)

It's nice to see other CustomMaterial users. This will help to find a possible bug. And with a bit of luck, this will correct the reflection / refraction problem

Have you planned a Nasimi documentation for CustomMaterial? I'm sure there would be more users.

• 2 months later...