[Solved] GUI error

Rook

I am getting the following error when trying to explore the GUI extension.  I think that I might be cross-pollinating between the new modular approach that just came out, and maybe old instructions for pre-alpha docs?

From http://doc.babylonjs.com/overviews/gui (I am showing my requires at the top, and line 61 from map.js):

var BABYLON = require('babylonjs')
var GUI = require('babylonjs-gui')
var gui = BABYLON.GUI.AdvancedDynamicTexture.CreateFullscreenUI('UI')
// var gui = GUI.AdvancedDynamicTexture.CreateFullscreenUI('UI')
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'add' of undefined
    at new r (/home/rook/Documents/Projects/babylon-testing/node_modules/babylonjs-gui/babylon.gui.mi…:1)
    at Function.r.CreateFullscreenUI (/home/rook/Documents/Projects/babylon-testing/node_modules/babylonjs-gui/babylon.gui.mi…:1)
    at createScene (map.js:61)
    at map.js:68

I have tried both using

GUI.AdvancedDynamicTexture.CreateFullscreenUI()

and

BABYLON.GUI.AdvancedDynamicTexture.CreateFullscreenUI()

as you can see from the commented-out line.  Both error out.

What am I doing wrong?

The new docs are up here, but are for imports:
http://doc.babylonjs.com/overviews/npm_support

Also, and importantly, are you using 3.1.0-alpha3.4 or 3.1.0-alpha3.5 - there are big changes there?

Here is a working example (using import not require):
https://github.com/brianzinn/create-react-app-typescript-babylonjs/blob/master/babylonjs-site/src/containers/home/index.tsx

I have seen the exact error you are getting it was something like xxx.onKeyboardDownHandler.add(...) - ensure you don't have another NPM package referencing an older version of babylonJS as a dependency (or redo your node_modules).  GUI won't reference a different version as it has a peerDependency to BabylonJS core.  Otherwise, do you have more of the stack trace - hard to see if there is something in your code or in babylonjs.

There is something funky going on with my local version of 'npm', I think.  I was working to show something to Deltakosh on another issue, and when I deleted node_modules and rebuilt with 'npm install', then everything seemed to start working, so I am not sure if dependencies were horked up somehow or not.  But the rebuild worked when I tried it again on this issue!

I am adding this to my troubleshooting steps, as I've learned that it is not entirely reliable to just 'npm remove' and 'npm install' packages back to back.  I was doing this in troubleshooting a prior issue.  I am new to Node so forgive this firedrill.