Swapping clothings on a character model

freetoplay

Hi everyone,

I am new to Babylon.js and 3D programming in general. I was wondering what would be the best way of swapping out clothings and other items on a character model in Babylon.js? Should I swap using textures (though this probably wouldn't work very well for items that a character holds)? Or is there a better way of doing it? Thanks for any advices.

Yes you can change the texture simply.

Something like that :

this.modele.material.subMaterials[1].diffuseTexture = new BABYLON.Texture(newTexture, this.scene);

or

this.modele.material.diffuseTexture = new BABYLON.Texture(newTexture, this.scene);

14 minutes ago, Dad72 said:

Yes you can change the texture simply.

Something like that :

this.modele.material.subMaterials[1].diffuseTexture = new BABYLON.Texture(newTexture, this.scene);

or

this.modele.material.diffuseTexture = new BABYLON.Texture(newTexture, this.scene);

Thanks for the advice. What would I do in the case that I have different meshes for different items and clothings, what would be the best approach in that case?

This method just adjusting the material has it's limitations, of course.  Changing vertices are what is going to actually change into different clothing.

Assuming you have different meshes for different items, then you should un-parent the mesh to leave and hide, & parent the new article to the body mesh.  To switch from pants to a skirt you obviously cannot cheat on the body mesh, removing the hidden vertices of the legs.  Programs like MakeHuman offer such optimizations.