Where are the Layers?

soylomass

The Dev Log (https://phaser.io/phaser3/devlog/73) mentions a new Game Object called Layers that acts as a graphical container for game objects, but I can't find it on the API or on the code.

Does it exist yet? Otherwise what can I use as a replacement for Phaser 2 groups? There isn't anything similar? Groups in phaser 2 gave its children a relative position and the group's position and scale affected all of them.

We removed them because they were incorrectly named and we stopped using a nested display list and instead went for a much faster and sortable flat display list with no parenting. We’re working on a Container object at the moment which will replace them, while still avoiding parenting hell.

When do you think it will be completed? Is there any alternative currently for grouping objects? For example I want to group a character, it's health, it's name among other things and move/rotate/scale them together. (I used Groups in Phaser 2 for this)

Out of curiosity, how's the new Containers system different from what already pixi.js provides? Sorry if I missed something obvious, I don't use Phaser, but AFAIK it uses pixijs and I use pixijs containers as Layers. So I'm curious about the problems you are facing. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...