Loading OBJ File Stupid Question

dbawel

Hello,

I've not been working in BJS for a while now, and am back on a job. I've imported loads of OBJ files into babylon.js, and never had an issue. However, I must have forgotten everything already. I need to have the OBJ file into babylon.js tomorrow, and m stuck. I know it's an idiot issue, but I'm too stupid to sort out why this OBJ won't load.

http://qedsoft.com/DEMOS2017/obj_loader/index.html

Thanks,

DB

Or better yet - if I import an OBJ file into Blender, the mesh imports as a completely black material with no texture. How do I correct this? It all imorts fine into Maya, which is what I normally use. However, it seems that I'm the only one using Maya in WebGL production, and there is no compatibility between Maya and babylon.js - not that I've ever found reliable. Could someone PLEASE write a reliable FBX converter to babylon.js? Everyone's been asking for this for many years now. I wish I had the skills to write it and support it.

Hello,

Can you please describe more precisely what happens with your OBJ? Is there something in F12 console?

There is a Maya exporter currently being worked on: https://github.com/BabylonJS/Exporters/tree/master/Maya

Regarding FBX, it's complex the format is not simple and freely documented. Have you shared the issues you've got with the current FBX exporter?

David 

@davrous-

DUH! I've been working in PHP way too long, and overlooked such a basic task as defining the engine correctly and calling the function to initialize the scene. I'll make the simple changes this morning, and let you know if there are any other issues. But as I mentioned in the title of this post - I knew I was asking an obviously stupid question. But now I feel even dumber than I initially thought I would, as this is scripting 101. Thanks, and I'll post the scene if all works for both the .OBJ and .babylon file. I have alo discovered issues with importing different formats into Blender, and maintaining textures. However, I seem to have found a quick fix for this without the need to re-apply the UV mapping - which is a nightmare. So I'll post this if all goes well so that others don't need to struggle over importing textures from applications into Blender.

Thanks again,

DB

And @MarianG- You found what I found as well - which is that the demo for loading OBJ files into babylon is no longer working. But than you for all your help - including @JCPalmer as well. It takes time to read through and assist others on the forum, so thank you all very much for taking your valuable time to help. Without this forum, many devs could never find the answers they need to meet their deadlines which is why babylon.js is by far the best framework in the industry these days. And fortunately, the core team supporting BJS really cares about their community. I hope all of you who are new to the framework remember all of the help you required and received, and one day returns to assist all of the newbies who will certainly come here to learn the best WebGL framework in existence. Just keep in mind that those developers you will be helping are probably only 6 or 7 years old right now. But one day soon, they will have newer versions of WebGL, hardware, and computing power which to us right now -  can not yet be realized in any way. SO fortunately, we'll also be learning from them as well. Just remember this, as all things come back around - both the good and the bad - so if you receive help now, remember that one day you'll personally  benefit greatly by passing on the help you've been given today. That's how it works, folks.

Cheers to you all,

DB