Game seems slow when jumping.

ImprsvIan

Hey,

Still fairly new to game developing. Trying my hand at it. I've got most of a game created and have figured out a bunch of things. There are two glaring issues I can't seem to get past. My player has gravity applied. If he falls from a certain height and the gravity is high, he falls through the floor tiles. If I turn down the gravity so this doesn't happen, the game seems slow. You can check out a working version of the game at http://gf-game.herokuapp.com/ . I looked into switching to P2 Physics but it just seemed way more complicated than I needed it to be for this type of game.

Any help will do.

42 minutes ago, samme said:

For falling through, you can set a non-zero Arcade.Body#deltaMax or you can increase Physics.Arcade#OVERLAP_BIAS.

I added the OVERLAP_BIAS and deltaMax... although I'm not sure I did it correctly. The player still falls through the floor when jumping off certain ledges. Is deltaMax supposed to set a maximum rate they can fall? I also reduced the size of the tiles and the game seems to run a little smoother.

deltaMax is a per-frame velocity, so it could be something like {x: 15, y: 15}. Or you could use body.maxVelocity instead.

The default OVERLAP_BIAS is 4. You could try raising it to 8, 10, 15, etc.

See if you can combine Tilemap layers or hide any empty ones.

Brilliant. I was not using deltaMax correctly. i was doing deltaMax = 10. now that I've done the object it works great. Making the tiles smaller seems to have helped but now I need to make tweaks to improve it further, like combining Layers.