Anybody got any grapefruitjs code to share?

1-800-STAR-WARS

I know this isn't strictly pixi but seems like the most appropriate place to post!

I've been toying with grapefruitjs this weekend and, since I try and use requirejs for my games anyway, I really like the modular design and the code quality is through the roof. I genuinely think it's the best designed html5 games framework around.

However - there's next to no code to look at other than lttp and shiv, and those games are structured and abstracted in a way that makes it difficult to find examples of what you want to do with grapefruit. Took me nigh on 4 hours to get a tilemap loaded and rendered - despite the fact that the resulting code is maybe 4 lines!

Googling produces very little, so I wondered if anyone here has used grapefruit and has any code to share? Maybe an example project that does all the basics like tilemaps, sprites, camera and input? 

I've been toying with grapefruitjs this weekend and, since I try and use requirejs for my games anyway, I really like the modular design and the code quality is through the roof. I genuinely think it's the best designed html5 games framework around. 

You're making me blush! Thanks for checking out grapefruit and for the compliment!

Unfortunately, the reason there is such a lack of code is because no one knows about/uses grapefruit :P (make sure to star the github project!)

I've been trying to get a website up with a basic game walk through, but work has been super crazy lately and I just haven't had the time to finish it (if anyone is interested in helping, here is the site code).

The map tests may be helpful for you as it is a pretty simple setup: https://github.com/grapefruitjs/maptest2/blob/master/js/main.js It basically loads a bunch of Tiled Editor maps for me to test all the features of Tiled. Aside from that I don't have any small examples right now, and `shiv` is so old I wouldn't even bother looking at it lol. If you get stuff or have questions, feel free to post a GitHub issue, post here, or email me and I will try my best to help you!

-Chad

• 2 weeks later...

I just liked to add in to Lewis, grapefruitjs seems to be the candidate for best html5 game framework around. I'm really impressed. Hopefully we can get som examples up and running toghether? It would be great to share some ideas and solutions between each other! Do you have any forum other than this where you usually post information/answers to questions about grapefruitjs?

Right now I'm on a small hobby project trying to create a 2d mmorpg. We started with vanilla js  but we are now looking into using a game engine or at least a graphics framework. We looked into pixijs and really liked it, from there I found grapefruitjs, read through parts of the source code - and now I'm pretty sure we found our framework.

If you need anything to get the project going, don't hesitate to ask. I have servers for hosting etc if thats of interest.

That list just so happens to exist! https://github.com/grapefruitjs/grapefruit/issues?page=1&state=open

I write all issues to the github issue list, and treat it like my backlog of things to work on. Feel free to fix any bugs you find, or work on any of the new features on the list. Make sure to post a comment so I know not to work on it at the same time!

I am on the grapefruitjs IRC as often as possible, and maybe Rich would be nice enough to give me a sub-forum here to work with. I am trying to find the time to finish up the website (https://github.com/grapefruitjs/grapefruitjs.org), so hopefully I can get that done soon.

Thanks!