Are there games types that are lag tolerant

smooth_penguin

Hey,

Im looking to build a (any) game where the input for the game has a fixed lag of over 1.5secs (this is something out of my control and is here to stay).

I'm looking for suggestions of what can be done to improve user experience (add friction? or weird character movement) or what sort of games should I be building that the 1.5 secs latency would be slightly acceptable.

Thanks for any advice :)

Joel

I second the suggestion to consider a turn-based game, especially one that encourages planning before you take you turn and thus sets an expectation that it's a little more deliberate.  A Scorched Earth-type game would be one possibility.

Can you reduce the perceived lag through an initial "powering up" animation that gives the player audiovisual feedback while waiting for the input to be processed?  Make the animation entertaining or varied enough, and the player is less likely to mind (or notice) the delay before seeing the actual result.  The characters in some turn-based RPGs have elaborate wind-ups on their attacks that could serve this purpose.

You mean a lag of one and a half seconds between the user touching the screen and the app responding!? :blink: Maybe you should find what causes this instead of trying to work around it.. Which development tool is that?