Shadow on PNG image

pichou

Hi everybody,

I have a plane with material and diffuseTexture. The image used for the texture is a png with transparent background. In order to keep the transparent background in babylon, I set useAlphaFromDiffuseTexture  = true; on the material. 

But now I want to see the shadow of the image. But I cant because of the useAlphaFromDiffuseTexture parameter. 
So my question is : Is there a way to have the shadow of my png image following the transparent and not transparent part?

Thanks for your help! Pichou

Do you need pure blending or just alpha testing?

From what I understand you may only need alpha testing that you can achieve with useAlphaFromDiffuseTexture  = false and matherial.diffuseTexture.hasAlpha = true

Then shadows will work directly

Ha, I know why I haven't used the hasAlpha property before.

It is because I also play with the visibility of the mesh. And with hasAlpha, when you change the visibility different to 1, the transparent background becomes black. 
But with the useAlphaFromDiffuseTexture property, the visibility is change correctly and the background stays transparent.

So I am stuck with using the useAlphaFromDiffuseTexture to have the correct visibility and transparent background or with using hasAlpha to have the correct shadow.

Is there a way to have both? Thanks

Unfortunately the shadow can't let the light goes through a transparent surface (I mean progressively). Either the surface blocks the light or either it lets it go.

Can you create a PG with your black transparent background issue? I can have a look to see if we can improve it