[SOLVED] Help with rigging for mobile devices (who has an iPhone?)

ozRocker

I've got 2 scenes here:

http://punkoffice.com/actionavatar

This has 62 bones.  It runs fine on desktop but on iPhone 6 I get the "Swiss cheese" affect.  Apparently that's due to too many bone influencers.  I've reduced them to 3 but the problem still exists.  I'm interested to see if the problem is still there on iPhone 7, 8 or X.  If anyone has one, please test and report your findings.

http://punkoffice.com/actionavatar2

This has 24 bones.  The max I can get before Swiss cheese is actually 26 bones on my iPhone 6.

As you can see, the animation has some important finger movement so I'm trying to find out the best way to keep those movements and still have this work on an iPhone 6.  Does anyone have any ideas?

27 is the iPhone 6 max I believe; which is kinda a odd number. I have been trying to figure out a work around for this for a while. 

I bet you could do like a blend mesh method where you have your model with its hands open and one with it closed and then blend between those two with your 24 bone setup.   I have not tested this in practice though, but remember seeing someone make a face automatically generate its phonic facial animations with a blend method.

Other option would be really strip down your bones to like 
3 on the body = 3
2 for sholders = 5
6 for both arm/hand x2 = 17
1 for fingers x2 = 19
3 for leg and foot x2 = 25
1 for head/neck = 26.

but that will really limit your movement and you will have to be creative on the weights, plus then you would have no thumb, foot arch and toe control.

30 minutes ago, Pryme8 said:

27 is the iPhone 6 max I believe; which is kinda a odd number. I have been trying to figure out a work around for this for a while. 

I bet you could do like a blend mesh method where you have your model with its hands open and one with it closed and then blend between those two with your 24 bone setup.   I have not tested this in practice though, but remember seeing someone make a face automatically generate its phonic facial animations with a blend method.

Are you talking about shape-keys (morph targets)?  That's a linear motion so the vertices of a closed fist would morph to an open hand via the shortest path.

I'm interested to find out if iPhone 7 and above still have this limitation.  Maybe I can do CPU animation for iPhone 6

16 hours ago, Sebavan said:

computeBonesUsingShaders = false should definitely work and it is what is used on IOS automatically when we are over the limit.

Could you create a simple repro in the playground ? I tried on a couple of model without reproducing the issue.

I went to make a playground and it worked.  I checked Babylon version and its using 3.3.0 beta.  I was using 3.3.0 alpha.  I downloaded the beta version and CPU bones now works.  It works so well I can't even tell difference in frame drop.

Thanks for your help @Sebavan :)

• ozRocker changed the title to [SOLVED] Help with rigging for mobile devices (who has an iPhone?)