How to export models without vertex colors and morph target normals?

Hi, I'm here again!

1. About Morphing

Because of the limitation of webgl max vertex attibutes number, it's not possible to manage too many morph targets for a mesh.

I find that each morph target carries positions and normals.

So the question is: how to make exporter only exports morph target position?

2. About vertex color

If we do not need vertex color, how to prevent exporter from exporting vertex color information?

Thanks for your help!

41 minutes ago, Deltakosh said:

Hello! is it with Max, Maya or Blender? 

ANd is it for gltf or babylon file format?

It is with Maya.

The work flow is: artists produce fbx with 3ds max. I import it into Maya and export it to babylon file.

I know it sounds strange  that we use different tools in a team. Later We will use same tools.

Ok so you are aware that you could export from 3dsmax :)

To export only position, you will have to edit the file I guess to remove normal from morph targets (Pinging @noalak for validation)

For vertex color: same thing, you should remove them directly in Maya

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, Bob Zhang said:

If we do not need vertex color, how to prevent exporter from exporting vertex color information?

Just so I understand the question, are you using vertex color for something else and just need to remove them on export or do you have vertex color on the model that you don't need?

1 hour ago, Deltakosh said:

Ok so you are aware that you could export from 3dsmax :)

To export only position, you will have to edit the file I guess to remove normal from morph targets (Pinging @noalak for validation)

For vertex color: same thing, you should remove them directly in Maya

Thank you @Deltakosh!

So from what you say I guess the removal tasks can be done by 3dsmax or maya themselves?

14 minutes ago, PatrickRyan said:

Just so I understand the question, are you using vertex color for something else and just need to remove them on export or do you have vertex color on the model that you don't need?

Thank you for replying

I don't need vertex color.

And I don't need morph target normals either.

@Bob Zhang It's easiest to control the vertex color directly in Maya. You can find the simple way to remove the vertex color here: 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Maya-Modeling/files/GUID-5ECDB0A2-D95A-420D-8388-67490CBF2679-htm.html

I have been speaking with the team about morph targets and our Maya exporter. Right now we don't have a way to control the attributes that get written out per morph target, so you don't have control over just writing position so you can get more morphs before hitting the limits on WebGL or glTF. We are thinking that we need to add the ability to use checkboxes for which attributes a user wants to export with some user feedback about the total number of attributes being exported when checking each box. This could give some feedback about exceeding recommended limits to the user so they can make informed decisions about their morph targets. What do you think about something like that?

Until we are able to implement a solution into the exporter, the easiest way to achieve what you are looking to do is to manually edit out the attributes you don't want in an editor like VS Code. 

12 hours ago, PatrickRyan said:

@Bob Zhang It's easiest to control the vertex color directly in Maya. You can find the simple way to remove the vertex color here: 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Maya-Modeling/files/GUID-5ECDB0A2-D95A-420D-8388-67490CBF2679-htm.html

I have been speaking with the team about morph targets and our Maya exporter. Right now we don't have a way to control the attributes that get written out per morph target, so you don't have control over just writing position so you can get more morphs before hitting the limits on WebGL or glTF. We are thinking that we need to add the ability to use checkboxes for which attributes a user wants to export with some user feedback about the total number of attributes being exported when checking each box. This could give some feedback about exceeding recommended limits to the user so they can make informed decisions about their morph targets. What do you think about something like that?

Until we are able to implement a solution into the exporter, the easiest way to achieve what you are looking to do is to manually edit out the attributes you don't want in an editor like VS Code. 

Yes, what I am doing is after exporting, manually remove normal attributes from morph target in babylon files.

And if those work can be done in exporter with checkboxes, things will be fantastic.

Thanks!