HTML5 game build environment and Cordova

mobileben

I currently have a setup where I use Webpack + Typescript for game dev. This is experimental, but it seems to be working well. I wanted to add Cordova in the mix to see how hard it would be to add support for mobile. One thing that strikes me is that Cordova does also become a bit of a build system, but seems cumbersome for just HTML5 dev. My plan would be to do most dev on the browser. Then move to mobile. 

One take away is it does seem a bit easier to start off with Cordova, only from the perspective that it seems easier to drop a project into Cordova versus dropping Cordova into your project. This really just means using the directory structure and having some of the config that a Cordova project likes, and then putting my code and required packages, etc, around it.

For people that are using Cordova, what is your workflow? Meaning are you doing most dev on the browser in the directories and then doing Cordova builds as needed (ie. ignoring Cordova only until needed)? When you do an HTML5 build for the browser is it completely devoid of Cordova? Or are you including Cordova and just going through a slightly different startup routine? I suppose this leads to the question of are you doing only one distribution that runs on everything, or creating different distributions based on platform?

Also, are there any viable contenders out there to use instead of Cordova?

I usually make my game ouside of cordova.

When using cordova, you will need to use some plugins (for ads, read or write files, whatever you need).

When I am developing I use dummy files with those apis, so I can develop from the start with that in mind.

When the game is complete, I create a cordova project with all the configuration and plugins I need.

Then, I create a batch file, that copys the bundled files and replaces the dummy apis with the real ones.

Then I can publish and test it on mobile.

When I want to add new features, is the same.

Develop outside of cordova, use the batch to replace only the game files, and build and deploy again in cordova.

My games work on the browser without cordova (although they are limited, because I don't use replacements for the cordova plugins, as I build only for android).

Although my games should be able to run on ios, I don't have a mac to build the game neither devices to test.

I agree with Bruno and generally take a two-step approach (not that I've done it much, and only to proof-of-concept stage).

Use your webpack build during development (using mocks as much as possible, quite a few Cordova plugins I've used actually provide these mocks for browser-based use, or even feature-complete ones browser versions), then use webpack to package it up and then use Cordova to take your built files and turn them in to a whatever cordova needs to run on a device. If you don't use any newer language features you can omit the webpack build step, but, you're using TS and no runtime understands it (yet) so you'll need to transpile it anyways.

On the dev in browser thing, yes, this is great, but, make sure you do regularly check on a device. If you're on a Mac then the simulator is generally good enough (always always do smoke-testing on real devices though, at least, more is better but more is time-consuming so find a balance), I can't remember what tooling I used to simulate Android devices on my dev machine, I remember there were a couple of options and all worked without too much hassle. Again though, test on real devices. The more frequently you do this the better, but you need a balance because it is potentially time-consuming.

I'm pretty sure you can set up Cordova in some sort of watch mode, again, you can do a two-step approach here where Webpack builds built files for Cordova, which is watching them and rebuilds itself when they change. I don't think there is any way to get hot reloading or even incremental builds like this though. Generally speaking, devving in the browser (where things like debugging are also easier and tooling is better for hot reloading, incremental builds, shims, mocks etc etc) will be good enough. Just don't forget the real devices, lest you risk something 'funky' slipping through (iOS Safari is the new IE6, there are some oddities you might run foul of).

@bruno_, thanks so much for the information. It was very helpful. When you say you use "dummy files" do you mean wrapper files for Cordova, or you create dummy files for the ones that Cordova will supply? 

@mattstyles, thanks as well. And thanks for the note about testing often on the device. My idealized plan is to be able to switch easily between the browser and mobile, which is why I was wondering about approach. From my early guesses, the part that will be more challenging is anything that has to go through the JS bridge such as IAP. Mainly because I'm using Typescript. What I think I may have to do is actually do those parts in Javascript to avoid having to debug transpiled code and use Safari developer mode to debug through the simulator.

As both your approaches are more of a two-step approach, I assume then that your index.html files as well as possibly how the app starts (Since Cordova will fire deviceready which we should be using to launch the game) are handled as one offs? I did find I can use the merges directory to use custom index.html files per platform. Right now I have what may be a workable model to develop on which would allow for dev browser/mobile from the onset.

I typically use Parcel as my bundler, which also handles an index.html out of the box (requires it actually), so when that 'watch' task runs it performs an incremental build based on what has changed and the output folder will typically contain html, JS, CSS (if generated) and images (if using directly) etc. The output folder becomes the stuff Cordova wants. I haven't fired up Cordova in a long time so don't know if that auto reloads things in Cordova, I never got to the stage of using it much so only ever fired up Cordova for a 'static' build for smoke-testing.

The stuff such as IAP and other Cordova plugins: the Cordova bridge are just exposed global variables which it tacks on to 'window' at init time so they are available (typically) _before_ your code wants to use them. For in-browser use, you need to shim or mock those exposed globals. I.e. for IAP, it probably does something like expose a function with a callback or a promise, which you can then use to determine what has happened, for in-browser you just need to shim that function/promise with an expected result. I think that many Cordova plugins (such as the persistent storage stuff) will typically expose browser-based versions (where it makes sense) so you _could_ use those instead. Otherwise a custom HTML file with the shims attached in the head (for a dev build) would suffice I expect, although, shimming the entire API you are using (depending on the complexity of the plugin) could be tricky. Your workflow of devving in the browser isn't unusual though so hopefully the plugins you use will expose browser-based shims/mocks/functionality that you can use whilst developing your product.

13 hours ago, mobileben said:

thanks so much for the information. It was very helpful. When you say you use "dummy files" do you mean wrapper files for Cordova, or you create dummy files for the ones that Cordova will supply?  

I mean dummy files with the same javascript api of the cordova plugins I use.

So I can develop the game with all the calls that I will need in the final version.

Apis to show ads, save files in the device internal storage, that in the browser version are replaced by dummy files that only make console.log calls.