Looking for a bit of help testing game

Jammy

Hi guys,

Hope you're all well.

I posted my last game here a year or so back Arcade Builder - I've been working on the engine on and off ever since and I'm really trying to nail every bug.

I feel closer now to a solid game now but I don't have many friends and family with iPads/Androids/Macs to test on so some feedback on those devices would also be greatly appreciated!

Could you please help me and check it out and cause any issues you can?

https://ajamdonut.github.io/ABV2/allbuilds/v.2.3.2/

The major changes since the last version are:

Changed tile system to pixi-tilemap

Changed viewport to pixi-viewport

Added howler for Audio

Added some HTML menus into the game (Esc key, settings page)

Added tablet controls

Added fixes for Safari

Re-coded AI

Added browser compatibility checks

image.thumb.png.31e81e66400bb11d34701790f2b7f48f.png

All feedback and suggestions really appreciated. Even if its bad news :)

Thanks, Jammy.

Edited by Jammy
Updated to latest build

Hey again Jammy! I remember last time this was posted! It's looking good.

So putting my old tester hat on...

In terms of setup of tech...

1. You say it's got tablet controls... but loading on a phone it's zoomed in to a tiny area with no way to pinch to zoom out or anything
  2. Use m4a rather than mp3. Better sound quality for same bitrate, and it's much better at looping audio than mp3 can ever be
  3. Get loads of console errors due to the kaching in my console. Consider using an off the shelf lib like Howler to handle audio?
  4. Performance wise it all held up fine to me!

In terms of gameplay

1. Set a limit to zoom in and zoom out via mouse wheel. I was able to lose the game location by zooming out too far!
  2. I like the blue squares to tell which way items are facing... but since the floor is blue, it's still really hard to tell! And sometimes the 'blue' is underneath the machine itself.
  3. In the hell zone, bring up one of the middle fireball machines. First, the X to close the details I didn't notice at first, because it's a fair way from the box itself. But you click it... and the details come back, because behind the X is another Fireball machine and I guess the click isn't blocking propagation!
  4. Arrow keys to move about the map would be nice. I found Two Point Hospital got camera movement for this kinda game right.
  5. I something things 'linger' too long when I've select something. If you have a chair selected, I don't want to have to go down to the x to not select it anymore. I want to press something to stop having it selected. Right click without scrolling? Dunno! I click on upgrades, and I've still got the chair selected! I feel a similar thing with some of the ui.

On 10/12/2019 at 12:32 PM, eXponeta said:

Open on screen with scale 1.5 and move to screen with scale 1.

On 10/12/2019 at 6:17 PM, themoonrat said:

Hey again Jammy! I remember last time ...

Hey guys, really really appreciate these write-ups. So far i've addressed a few of the issues but I wan't to nail everything you've mentioned before posting latest.

Really appreciate it! I think the Tablet stuff should be a lot more solid next time (I've added a bunch of logic to check the device type)

Also thanks for pointing me at Howler, audio is next to be rewritten and this will probably fix a lot of my issues.

On 10/12/2019 at 6:17 PM, themoonrat said:
  1. You say it's got tablet controls... but loading on a phone it's zoomed in to a tiny area with no way to pinch to zoom out or anything

Hope you're well mate. I've got a new build today that addresses a lot of the mobile issues but still with a lack of all the devices around me to test on would be great to see what happens on everyone elses device.

Would you mind sparing a moment again to try on this link: https://ajamdonut.github.io/ABV2/allbuilds/v.2.2.5f/

A lot of the other issues (audio etc) have also been fixed but i'm still sure I've got a bit to go before it's rock solid.

On 10/15/2019 at 4:35 PM, Marwan38 said:

Samsung s7 (android) here. Couldnt do much as the scale of the game was too big for the screen.

Thanks a lot for pointing this out. I've got a new build now which has started to resolve the issue for some android users, it would be great if you could try again and let me know if issue still occurs. (I do think though i have a bit of scaling work to do, but the game should now be playable)

https://ajamdonut.github.io/ABV2/allbuilds/v.2.2.7/

Edited by Jammy

That sorts out the scaling issues on my phone, and it nicely works either portrait or landscape... nice work!

There's now the issue on the phone that you can't select certain things, like existing machines, or build items (tho you can open a build menu fine)

The first issue is interesting, as to move the game around you have to touch the screen, so maybe it's best an existing machine info doesn't keep popping up all of the time! Maybe a question mark icon you can press which then let's you select anything on screen to view it's info? Dunno. UI's do have to be different from mobile to desktop, so it depends how far you want to take this being a good mobile/tablet experience

3 hours ago, themoonrat said:

That sorts out the scaling issues on my phone, and it nicely works either portrait or landscape... nice work!

There's now the issue on the phone that you can't select certain things, like existing machines, or build items (tho you can open a build menu fine)

The first issue is interesting, as to move the game around you have to touch the screen, so maybe it's best an existing machine info doesn't keep popping up all of the time! Maybe a question mark icon you can press which then let's you select anything on screen to view it's info? Dunno. UI's do have to be different from mobile to desktop, so it depends how far you want to take this being a good mobile/tablet experience

Thanks buddy really appreciate the feedback!

I do want this to be released for phone and tablet. So now that I can at least see it being playable on most devices, I'm going to spend a week or so really trying to nail down the UI and user-interaction aspects.

My job is up in December so if i can see this version working well (being enjoyed), I might just focus on a more commercial different (or same) game in the same engine I've made.

Really appreciate all your guys time spent with me on this.

So just tried on my tablet, and I'm able to select built items fine. Odd (but good!). 

Couple more issues... 

1. All the menus look fine in portrait apart from the upgrades menu, which doesn't show the X in portrait mode, so can't click off of it.

2. If I use the pinch action to zoom in as much as I can, I can then press the zoom icon to zoom further into a black void. Scary.

3 hours ago, themoonrat said:

So just tried on my tablet, and I'm able to select built items fine. Odd (but good!). 

Couple more issues... 

1. All the menus look fine in portrait apart from the upgrades menu, which doesn't show the X in portrait mode, so can't click off of it.

2. If I use the pinch action to zoom in as much as I can, I can then press the zoom icon to zoom further into a black void. Scary.

Ah thanks mate, really appreciate those spots! Added to the list.

I think also the oddness might be explained by the control scheme I've setup but not explained for tablet/phone. I've got a button that makes it a bit easier to use the tools. I've put this together for everyone who' s testing but I'll have to get something in game soon.

image.png.1d2e3aac3535f46240c2751f1c039ea3.png

Yeah I noticed that. The icon didn't quite give away what it was at first glance, but the arrows gave me a hint to move around the screen after toggling it to discover what it did, and it's a super useful addition. Tick and cross arrows to place down might need to be made a bit more noticable? But it's a big step up from where it was for mobile usage. And something easy to explain to users in a tutorial.

Thanks everyone for the feedback/help so far, it's really enabled me to focus on the issues.

I've updated the latest build and a new version is available below. I think I've gotten a lot of the biggest issues out of the way now with cross-device issues and so I feel a bit more confident going forward with the engine and the game!

https://ajamdonut.github.io/ABV2/allbuilds/v.2.3.2/

The UI appears to be responsive and works well, rotation seems to be working well and I think once the game is packaged for the device stores it should work even better (initial testing on cordova looking good).

Once again, appreciate the help and I look forward to posting again once I'm further into the engines development.