About Construct 3 (or something else)

-AAG-

Hello. I was wondering about Construct 3 and how good is it for making HTML5 games that can be sold to sponsors. I have been using Game Maker for over 12 years now and I absolutely love it and can get games done with it in no time but I really, really don't like Game Maker Studio 2 at all, I just don't. whats up with the interface and those freaking nodes? It hurts my eyes just to look at it. But GMS 1 is not supported anymore and I find myself running into frequent issues with browsers and stuff just not working out of the blue. Looking at Construct 3 I absolutely love the fact that it works on the browser. It even says I could run it on one of those cheap Chromebooks!

Maybe you are thinking that since I'm willing to learn something new why not learn something better like Phaser. Well, I guess I could learn that if I really put the effort into it, but it just seems so overly complicated, everything would be all over the place instead of self contained on the one app. I tried similar stuff in the past, like Flash Punk, and it just isn't for me. Or is it?

Anyways, I am looking to update myself and GameMaker: Studio 2 just wont do. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by -AAG-

Hi, even Construct 2 is still very good (if you visit my website you will see) to make HTML5 games or mobile. Of course Construct 3 has a lot features and going better and better.

8 hours ago, -AAG- said:

that can be sold to sponsors

This is a different part. This no means the engine you choose is bad. To develop a good game depends on a lot of things. And of course to sell it is another different part.

8 hours ago, -AAG- said:

why not learn something better like Phaser.

Better? What are your arguments? How people can say unity is better than unreal, etc ? Each engine do great job. The only question here is: "What game / games want to develop" ?

To be honest, I don't know why some people choose phaser or similar. I believe it's about code - to code something. But you can programming in Construct 3 too.

I believe need to post here and a phaser developer with a lot experience to give us an explanation about phaser and what can do better.

So from my experience, Construct is very powerful, so i believe if your previous engine was GameMaker a good choice is to pass to Construct 3 but as i said, Construct 2 is still very good for games. Also i believe Construct can learn it in some hours.

I'm not from Construct team, i'm not doing a promo here. I work with Construct years now and this is my opinion.

But of course if you like phaser, go with it. Good luck!

Cheers.

Edited by odiusfly

Thanks for the lengthy and in depth reply.

This is a different part. This no means the engine you choose is bad. To develop a good game depends on a lot of things. And of course to sell it is another different part.

I understand this perfectly. I have been selling licenses to sponsors for quiet a while. But some sponsors just wont buy games made on either Construct or GameMaker.

Better? What are your arguments? How people can say unity is better than unreal, etc ? Each engine do great job. The only question here is: "What game / games want to develop" ?

My argument is the same as above.  Some sponsors just wont buy games made on either Construct or GameMaker (or similar game making tools), and I get it, they can be a pain to work with when it comes down to API integrations and such. Phaser on the other hand, even thou is a framework, it is still a more conventional way of making games. Business wise something like Phaser is better, but if you are just a hobbyist then it boils down to preference. I do this for a living.

To be honest, I don't know why some people choose phaser or similar. I believe it's about code - to code something. But you can programming in Construct 3 too.

Phaser gives you a lot more control over what you are doing? it has nothing to do with code, that's for sure.

I just found out something about Construct 3 that is putting me off a little, it is a service and not a product, you would have to pay monthly or yearly to continue to use it. It is a very small price but still.