Pixi-Layers with Filters

Jammy

Hey,

I'm using pixi-layers and I have 1 layer which is for bloom, I add an object to that layer whenever I want bloom (I believe it was also better practice to add all objects for a specific filter to one layer and apply the filter to the layer, for performance).

When I apply parentGroup to a bloom object, I believe pixi-layers swaps its layer/container and therefore it loses its filter. Is this right?

Is it possible at all, to have a layer full of objects, that still sort on groups, without changing container? I guess it may be impossible.

Do we have any idea the difference it may cause if I add the bloom filter to sprites individually (may be up to 100-200 sprites)

Thanks, Jammy.

Edited by Jammy

You want to sort stuff from different containers, right? If layer itself is under the filter - it will work, otherwise - I just dont know the order of operations that you want :)

Just imagine how do you want pixi to push/pop filter and when to draw elements, in which buffers - and then you'll be able to make a scheme that'll work. Also if your sorted elements are all in same container - you can just use pixi-v5 zIndex + "container.sortChildren=true" (https://github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/blob/dev/packages/display/src/Container.ts#L421) instead of pixi-layers

Edited by ivan.popelyshev

On 7/30/2020 at 1:07 PM, ivan.popelyshev said:

You want to sort stuff from different containers, right? If layer itself is under the filter - it will work, otherwise - I just dont know the order of operations that you want :)

Just imagine how do you want pixi to push/pop filter and when to draw elements, in which buffers - and then you'll be able to make a scheme that'll work. Also if your sorted elements are all in same container - you can just use pixi-v5 zIndex + "container.sortChildren=true" (https://github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/blob/dev/packages/display/src/Container.ts#L421) instead of pixi-layers

pixi-v5 zIndex + helps a lot thanks, So i have two types of sorting going on now, one on the layer level and one on the objects contents (collection of sprites inside a container).

I've got bloom on a mixture of layers coz of this so I assume im probably going to see some perf hit at some point, but I think I can control that.

Thanks!