[WIP] laserbots.io - Isometric 3rd person coop or pvp shooter

scarybanana

Hello everyone, here's my current project, https://laserbots.io

You can protect the base from zombies in coop mode or go head to head in a deathmatch against players.

Keyboard & Mouse: Move mouse to aim, click to shoot. WASD to move.
Mobile/Tablet: Tap to shoot, double tap to move. (This is still a little clunky, improvements to come).
Gamepad: Any button to shoot, right stick to aim, left stick to move.

Tech stack: babylon.js for graphics, inferno.js for website and UI, colyseus.js for server, Agones for server orchestration. 

Most of the core features are done, I marked it as WIP because I'll likely add more stuff in the future.
I am desperately seeking feedback for this, so please let me know what you think.

I also have the itch.io page here: https://scarybanana.itch.io/laserbots.

Thank you 

lb_cover_3.jpg

Hi, very nice game, here's my feedback.

First of all the game ran smooth without errors or glitches so good job on that!

The game was pretty hard to play solo, but when someone joined it was really fun! Maybe an easier mode for when nobody is online could be an idea. (Is coop mode always 2 players or can there be more?)

The input (mobile) takes some time to get used but in landscape orientation it is not bad at all. Probably it can be better if you can use two fingers for control.

One small point for improvement is that the menu does not fit my screen in landscape orientation and somehow I can't change back to portrait when game was started.

I really like the concept of the game. The combination of shooting and placing towers is a very good match. Also placing the towers is very intuitive (although I sometimes accidentally dropped one). I think that it would add to the game if you had more maps with more walls and water for example. That way the tower defence element and strategic placement of the towers becomes more important.

So in conclusion very well done! Very nice concept and well implemented! I understand the WIP, but you on the right path. I'm very curious what the game will be like after some more development is done!

8 minutes ago, EyeSeeT said:

Hi, very nice game, here's my feedback.

First of all the game ran smooth without errors or glitches so good job on that!

The game was pretty hard to play solo, but when someone joined it was really fun! Maybe an easier mode for when nobody is online could be an idea. (Is coop mode always 2 players or can there be more?)

The input (mobile) takes some time to get used but in landscape orientation it is not bad at all. Probably it can be better if you can use two fingers for control.

One small point for improvement is that the menu does not fit my screen in landscape orientation and somehow I can't change back to portrait when game was started.

I really like the concept of the game. The combination of shooting and placing towers is a very good match. Also placing the towers is very intuitive (although I sometimes accidentally dropped one). I think that it would add to the game if you had more maps with more walls and water for example. That way the tower defence element and strategic placement of the towers becomes more important.

So in conclusion very well done! Very nice concept and well implemented! I understand the WIP, but you on the right path. I'm very curious what the game will be like after some more development is done!

Hi, thank you! Getting feedback is proving troublesome... so I appreciate that.

Scaling the difficulty to match the number of players is something i'd certainly like to add. Both Coop and deathmatch are up to 4 players.

100% agreed. I threw it in just to have something workable, but I knew it wasn't great. I'm actually working on something better right now.

Ok, that's interesting, will look into it.

Also placing the towers is very intuitive (although I sometimes accidentally dropped one)

I very specifically designed it so that I wouldn't need to explain anything to the player (no annoying tooltips/popups etc). That's why the button to deploy the tower is the same as the shoot button (so you'd eventually figure it out by 'accident' anyway). I consider the accidental dropping to be a small price to pay for that.

I think that it would add to the game if you had more maps

I still can't quite make up my mind about this. I currently have the map voting system (you can vote for a different map at the end of the game), but I'm starting to get ideas of a dynamically changing map, where the walls shift and change at the end of each wave. The configurations of walls could even be randomly generated.

and water for example.

Now that's something that never occurred to me at all. I like that a lot, although water itself might not fit the theme, maybe a 'gap' in the floor that just drops into the void, or something. So the zombies have to walk around it, but you can still shoot at them from the other side.

I'm very curious what the game will be like after some more development is done!

I just started posted updates on the itch profile, but I wouldn't mind updating you via PMs either.

Once again, thank you!

19 hours ago, scarybanana said:

Hi, thank you! Getting feedback is proving troublesome... so I appreciate that.

True, I posted my game a while ago and got no feedback at all. It was pretty demotivating. Hope my feedback changes thing for others just a little bit, I'm glad it is appreciated!

The configurations of walls could even be randomly generated.

You could also let players place them at the start of the game (or buy them during)

So the zombies have to walk around it, but you can still shoot at them from the other side.

Exactly, fences or low walls can have same properties, but other structures like mirrors, elevations or traps can have other properties. However, keeping things simple also has advantages.

but I wouldn't mind updating you via PMs either.

I'd love to get a PM when you release the next major update. :)