New member question

AndrewPayton

Hi everyone!

I have a finance background but have been learning how to program (JavaScript) the past few months. I have an idea for a simple game that I really want to build. However, instead of learning Swift, I was thinking of building a native iOS app using something like PhoneGap or CoCoon. I don't even know if that's actually possible since I don't know what exactly they are but from what I've gathered, these programs will let you build a game in JavaScript and compile it into a native iOS app - which would be pretty cool!

Can someone guide me to some resources on where I can get introduced to the world of making games using JavaScript for iOS (where I think the market for games really is)?

Thank you 

Iirc Ludei's CocoonJS died a year or so back?  PhoneGap / Cordova / Ionic all come from the same base and "wrap" a web-application into a mobile-application.  They provide native extensions (e.g. camera, filesystem) to create what's called a "hybrid app".  It's good-enough for many things, and provide a strong solution for primarily web-oriented applications (including some games).

That said, if you are new to making games, have no legacy towards Javascript and are committed to iOS then ... maybe just use the Apple Developer toolset (or adopt Unity or similar full-featured GDK) ... build native directly?

But first challenge the assumptions that are leading towards an iOS focus.  Is your audience really there, and will they pay for your app?  In 2020 web is experiencing a resurgence while walled-garden-app-stores are experiencing anti-trust suits and user-attrition.  Discoverability and Monetization are challenging on all platforms, there is no magical fix ... so why not embrace the free and wonderful world wide web?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 5:30 PM, b10b said:

Iirc Ludei's CocoonJS died a year or so back?  PhoneGap / Cordova / Ionic all come from the same base and "wrap" a web-application into a mobile-application.  They provide native extensions (e.g. camera, filesystem) to create what's called a "hybrid app".  It's good-enough for many things, and provide a strong solution for primarily web-oriented applications (including some games).

That said, if you are new to making games, have no legacy towards Javascript and are committed to iOS then ... maybe just use the Apple Developer toolset (or adopt Unity or similar full-featured GDK) ... build native directly?

But first challenge the assumptions that are leading towards an iOS focus.  Is your audience really there, and will they pay for your app?  In 2020 web is experiencing a resurgence while walled-garden-app-stores are experiencing anti-trust suits and user-attrition.  Discoverability and Monetization are challenging on all platforms, there is no magical fix ... so why not embrace the free and wonderful world wide web?

Hi b10b,

What you mean by "In 2020 web is experiencing a resurgence"? Is it worth going back to licensing games again?

21 hours ago, hilty said:

Hi b10b,

What you mean by "In 2020 web is experiencing a resurgence"? Is it worth going back to licensing games again?

Is it worth it?  Probably not XD.  But if you're happy to collect a few dollars a day from a simple game then Web will be a more probable proposition than App Store.

When I said "resurgence" I meant a relative increase in trust of web applications (rather than needing to install or use through a proprietary layer).  You may or may not have had direct experience in web applications prior to 2008 for comparison?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 4:02 PM, b10b said:

Is it worth it?  Probably not XD.  But if you're happy to collect a few dollars a day from a simple game then Web will be a more probable proposition than App Store.

When I said "resurgence" I meant a relative increase in trust of web applications (rather than needing to install or use through a proprietary layer).  You may or may not have had direct experience in web applications prior to 2008 for comparison?

Before 2008? I'm sorry, I was a teen in a 3rd world country at this time. ?