Pixijs has low FPS in IOS14.

CCK

Our game is running on HTML5.

but as player update their IPhone to IOS14.

Our FPS is down to 10.

but not happened in IOS13.

I found that some gam engine has fix this problem after IOS14 release. such as cocos creator and egret.

Is there any suggestion or solution?

yes, find whats wrong with what you use. Try disable different types of objects, see whats wrong.

Alterntively: use dev version of pixi, ( pixijs.download/dev/pixi.js and pixi-legacy.js) - might have fixes. or "main", which a bit behind but also might have fixes

Which version of pixi do you use?

Edited by ivan.popelyshev

Our pixi's version is 5.2.1

I tried to decrease the object in the scene and i found that the FPS is better (45~60)

but as soon as the game start. the object was created by some system.

the FPS in IOS14 gets lower. (10~20)

I would like to ask if there is any place to modify the rendering method

and I'll try to update pixi from 5.2.1 to 6.

Thanks ivan. 

Actually, what you can try:

The optimization exists in pixi: https://github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/blob/efad52f8e24513b7566b2e2b743d8e07580b911b/packages/core/src/batch/AbstractBatchRenderer.ts#L538

Can you check please the value of `PIXI.settings.CAN_UPLOAD_SAME_BUFFER` for you? Report it to us, and try set it to the opposite before Renderer is created. I think maybe apple device detection doesnt see iOS14 somehow

We had report of bad performance on iOS 14 too for GDevelop (based on Pixi.js): https://github.com/4ian/GDevelop/issues/1991

I did a quick test and this game with a scrolling background: https://games.gdevelop-app.com/game-88c8a532-8ad5-4f3f-8e07-402fe50cd786/index.html is noticeably more choppy on an recent iPad with iOS 14 than on an older iPhone 7 with iOS 13.

This being said, when I write `PIXI.settings.CAN_UPLOAD_SAME_BUFFER` in the console of Safari when debugging, it's `false` for both ?

On 2021/2/2 at PM7點36分, ivan.popelyshev said:

實際上,您可以嘗試:

優化存在於pixi中:https//github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/blob/efad52f8e24513b7566b2e2b743d8e07580b911b/packages/core/src/batch/AbstractBatchRenderer.ts#L538

您能為您檢查一下PIXI.settings.CAN_UPLOAD_SAME_BUFFER的值嗎?向我們報告,並在創建Renderer之前嘗試將其設置為相反值。我認為也許蘋果設備檢測無法以某種方式看到iOS14

PIXI.settings.CAN_UPLOAD_SAME_BUFFER   is "false"

and if i change to true.

The FPS is the same.(low)

ok, now someone has to try change AbstractBatchRenderer that it actually spawns more IB buffers for packedGeometries. that might help. Unfortunately, im a bit indisposed right now (im on vacation) and i cant really do that. I asked in slack and it seems that we have no one who can experiment with it.

Good news is that i actually have device in iOS14 to test, buuuuut , again,  i dont know if i can afford to do it myself. Im really afraid of code right now, something psychological

No worries, stay healthy! Take some time for yourself and don't think about code too much for some time ;)

I could maybe make these tests in AbstractBatchRenderer if I have some indications. Just let me know later or maybe Mat/another maintainer can chime in and help :)

• 1 month later...

I'm up-ing this thread to know if there is a way to help debugging this :) Seems like the issue is still there and noticeably on most games on iOS 14. I can publish a very simple game made with GDevelop that exhibit some laggy frames (while it's perfectly fine on iOS 13).
Happy to profile/dig/try anything too, just not too sure where to start! 

Because, if that's still the real issue, GoodBoyDigital would solve it for sure, after all they have so many games on pixi

Also, can you check if https://github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/issues has this issue or it was closed?

Also you can try placing a bounty on it

Edited by ivan.popelyshev

Hope you're feeling better then!

You're right that Goodboy Digital would have surely run in the issue. Might be some special use case triggering some worse performance. I did a quick check for "ios" issues but could not find anything similar.
I'll try to come up with an example showing the issue and open an issue for it on GitHub :)

I have two feedbacks from creators on GDevelop that are saying that patching Pixi v6 on their game/using a version of GDevelop with Pixi v6 is making their games smooth again on iOS 14 :) 
So seems with was solved since then already! Unsure in which version (i did not do a bisect), but on my side I'll consider this problem fixed :)