Using pixi for procedurally generated terrain?

ikaruga

I'm trying to do a super low-fi effect of lo-res procedurally generated terrain. (Think the HUD displays on the original terminator, or blade-runner cars.) 

What would be the best way of doing this with pixi?

In the examples, I see references to various promising plugins.

13 hours ago, Exca said:

Depending on the style that could be done pretty easily with either deforming a plane mesh (with gpu or cpu, first option being much faster) or using ropes and then just moving points along the x-axis.

Exactly. So should I be using a plugin? If so, which is the recommended one for this simple use case? As per the examples, I don't see 3D support out of the box

Edited by ikaruga

12 hours ago, ikaruga said:

Exactly. So should I be using a plugin? If so, which is the recommended one for this simple use case? As per the examples, I don't see 3D support out of the box

I was thinking of doing that in 2d, but just doing it so that it looks like 3D. For example if you animate 5 ropes with varying points you can get a semi3d looking set. Or if you create a mesh that you rotate and squash a bit and then move the vertices up/down you can get a mesh that looks like it was orthogonal 3d without doing any real 3D stuff.

11 hours ago, Exca said:

I was thinking of doing that in 2d, but just doing it so that it looks like 3D. For example if you animate 5 ropes with varying points you can get a semi3d looking set. Or if you create a mesh that you rotate and squash a bit and then move the vertices up/down you can get a mesh that looks like it was orthogonal 3d without doing any real 3D stuff.

While simple because it requires no 3D, making it look "right" is likely very tricky... it definitely won't generalize to arbitrary terrains. I think the 3d plugin someone mentioned above is more promising :-)  Thanks for the suggestion though