Is p5.js a viable canvas library for use in game development?

EnderShadow8

I'm quite experienced in using p5.js for small creative coding exercises. I've recently started creating a game using p5, but I'm wondering whether I'll run into performance problems later on. My main option is pixi.js, but I think it would require for me to learn a new library for a performance benefit that I won't actually need. Considering it's holding at about 60 fps on my crappy outdated laptop, I'm not sure whether a performance boost is really necessary, but then again I don't have much experience in this sort of thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I myself came across alot of performance limitations trying to use p5.js. 

First things first though, untill you actually run into performance issues, don't worry too much about it otherwise you're just pre-empting that it's going to run slow and you never get anything done.

That being said, You can either go for another library or figure out how to make your code more performant but p5.js is very limiting in terms of actual performance.

On 4/20/2021 at 8:46 AM, EnderShadow8 said:

I'm quite experienced in using p5.js for small creative coding exercises. I've recently started creating a game using p5, but I'm wondering whether I'll run into performance problems later on. My main option is pixi.js, but I think it would require for me to learn a new library for a performance benefit that I won't actually need. Considering it's holding at about 60 fps on my crappy outdated laptop, I'm not sure whether a performance boost is really necessary, but then again I don't have much experience in this sort of thing.

If it runs fine on your "crappy outdated laptop" I would say that you should stick with p5.
If you go down the performance route for no reason you will end up compiling c++ to wasm before you know it with no game insight.

Making your first game will take a lot of time and learning - if you can skip out on learning a library as well that is a good thing.

Pixi.js is as I understand a great library and it would for sure not let you down, but change the library after you make your first game if you still have the urge.