Rotation produces jagged edges

CityLights

Rotated sprites have jagged edges. I have tried enabling `antialias: true`, and while it had an effect on drawn graphics, it had no effect on the rotated sprites.

My application correctly responds to the device's resolution. To minimise the jagged edges I tried forcing a minimum resolution of 2, which significantly alleviates the issue. However, I would not like to render everything twice as large simply to get rid of jagged edges, not only because of performance concerns, but because of the WebGL Texture size limit on some devices.

I have also tried to to use the FXAAFilter but it produces some weird artifacts/ghost shadow. Attached below are images showing the different attempts.

What's an elegant way to go about this?

No rotation:
image.png.e5075333ebe4d43f1300ab706fd20b02.png

3° angle (jagged edges visible)

image.png.dfc9c1ef17844a545c7019e3eb2013e7.png

Force a minimum resolution of 2 (works but not ideal as it wastefully renders everything twice as large even on a device with a devicePixelRatio of 1)
image.png.7c30e4e4042488d5d1fab2cc251719d6.png

FXAAFilter (background change to better demonstrate weird artifacts)

image.png.200f3b36d2d0175b6ee2659b9bef955e.png

Edited by CityLights

3 hours ago, ivan.popelyshev said:

classic OpenGL/WebGL. Many ways to solve that.

Could you briefly describe some of the many ways, please?

3 hours ago, ivan.popelyshev said:

You can try to solve it with texture filtering: add 1px or 2px transparent border to that texture.

I am not sure what you mean. My textures are SVGs so adding a transparent border to the asset itself is not possible. I tried adding a transparent using Outline filter but setting an alpha value to the filter does not seem to be possible.

Edited by CityLights

My textures are SVGs so adding a transparent border to the asset itself is not possible

to use SVG, pixi actually draws it on canvas in SVGResource. You can try alter that by supplying width/height in svg element itself or altering the actual code in pixi. I dont remember whether there's "padding" parameter for resource, if not, we should defeinitely add it - you can ask it in pixijs issues.

I tried adding a transparent using Outline filter

that wont help, because filter uses temporary renderTexture, and your svg will be rendered there first.. with same geometry, without extra pixel bound

Edited by ivan.popelyshev

• 2 years later...

actually, there's https://codesandbox.io/s/pixi-round-mask-e3moe2 but i didnt make it into a plugin yet, and i dont think i'll make it into pixi plugin, im researching new webgpu analogue ) 

you can copy necessary code, and turn off round corners. Whole sprite is AA-ed

Edited by ivan.popelyshev

hi @ivan.popelyshevthanks for the super quick reply!

I had a look at your round mask, and I must admit that this is way beyond my expertise for me to copy-paste and then own any of that 😅

I did try adding a transparent margin to my svg, but that didn't make any difference, in fact, I'm now noticing that it's not just the outside border to be jagged, but straight line in the inside too - would it make any difference if this wasn't an SVG? is there something else I could try with the SVG file itself?

thanks again!

image.png.ad8bdd97d8129e395dc4968b41619052.png

good catch! downscale was definitely playing a role there, looks much better now (still jagged edges, but at least it's just on the borders).

what's the canonical way of handling this? as a noob, I thought using an SVG would protect me from scaling related issues, but I was clearly wrong. would you rather amend width and height of the svg on the fly before trying to render it?

not sure what mipmaps is.. do you have an example I can look at?