Game freezes when you open a url

Phoenix Labs

Hey there,

I recently sold a game to Spil Games and they've come across a problem. On quite a few mobile devices, when ever you click on a button which opens a new tab that links to their website. When you go back onto the game, it doesn't respond at all. I'm using url_open_ext in Game Maker to open the url. I'm thinking it has something to do with the devices blocking popups, which freezes the game somehow. So how do you open url's, without it thinking it's a popup? Any help is much appreciated. 

You can play it at: http://skymonsters.clay.io/

Best Regards,

Andrew

Had the same problem and simply had to tell them i couldn't fix it. They accepted the url opening int he same page as the game because it was better than having it frozen.  A friend offered me a solution to this:

The solution is pretty easy. You have to call url_open() as a reaction to a HTML5 user event (for example touch event). GameMaker events are not called in HTML5 user events so it won't work. I've solved it in javascript but now I know GM:S has solution for that too: look at clickable_add() and other clickable_ functions. I've never used them but I'm sure it will work.

I never tried it because at the time they had already paid me and the deal was closed but if you manage to get it working let me know.