Problem with CANVAS and PhoneGap, Ludei or XDK

DavidPeralvarez

Ok, after many refreshes of a pixi canvas (about 100-200 times) with no tweens or tweening library included, I have actually managed to create this bug. Which means that my previous point of it not happening with pixi on it's own is null. I think that the tweens are increasing the likelihood of it happening though.

Rich, one of the other html5 developers I work with had suggested the floating point math error too, It does indeed sound likely.

We've debugged this for hours and hours some time ago and are convinced it is nothing to do with JavaScript or Pixi. We tried logging out the transforms - all were normal. We tried different image sizes, alpha levels, composite ops, different orientations, pure integer values, different viewport settings, tweens, no tweens, etc.

And everything came back to the same conclusion: Samsung code is bad. And something, somehow, makes it possible for the device to freak out and cause this. My guess would be it happens at the point where it's creating GPU textures (again all custom Samsung code), because we never managed to see it happen if you go into the Samsung dev tools and disable GPU support entirely. I think this is why it only happens occasionally, it feels like if the device is overloaded elsewhere - maybe having swapped out from running a native app, or has a lot of other multi-threaded apps doing stuff at the same time, that this might have an impact on it. Like the browser doesn't wait for the GPU to create the textures properly or something.

The only salvation is that we've never seen it happen in Chrome, and Samsung at least now provide that by default these days.

• 1 year later...