protect your babylon

hw3web

If you use a .htaccess file as you did, your files are not accessible from the browser except if you add the possibility to provide a username and a password. Nevertheless, your files will still appear in the Network panel of your browser and anyone will be able to get the content of them. Your files should then be encrypted but it means you need something to unencrypt them for babylonJS. You don't have a lot of options for that, you need to write something in javascript to unencrypt them and your code must be ofuscated since otherwise it would be too easy to know how to unecrypt your files. BUT still it will be really easy to add a breakpoint in the parsing code of babylonJS to get the unencrypted content of your files... or just serialize the loaded scene to get the unencrypted version.

All of this can be resumed to "sorry guys but not sure it will be possible to protect your files". Hopefully for you I'm wrong about it.

gwenael is 100% correct. You're only option is to obfuscate / encrypt, but that will not protect anything from those that seriously want it. More than likely, it'll just slow down your code execution.

As an example of the frutility of obfuscation / encryption, it only took my team about 60 days of lesierly work to crack and strip out a custom modified version of thermidia (program encryption method) from an obfucated and encrypted C++ compiled game client. would have probably been doable in a week or less if we seriously worked on it. A silly javascript obfuscation would be nothing more than an anoyance to someone that knew what they were doing. We were one of the first groups to crack Thermidia almost 8 years ago.

Not trying to disuade you from using HTML5 etc, but it is what it is. For what reason do you feel that it's necessary to go through that much effort to protect something that's opensource to begin with? I've come to accept the fact that trying to keep people out is just a waste of time and money. Time better spent developing. It's really disheartning the first time you realize just how fast someone can rip off your work, even if you're doing everything possible to lock it down. You're best bet is to hire an lawyer and protect your copyrights. Of course, again, it's opensource software, so that's easier said than done.

Good luck with your project! I hope you still continue using HTML5 and Babylon.