I entered Ludum Dare 29 on the weekend. I decided to fly solo this time around and do the 48 hour compo. The theme was 'Beneath the Surface'. Here's what I came up with:

post-199-0-34795800-1398898757_thumb.jpg

post-199-0-23726300-1398898759_thumb.jpg

post-199-0-99092700-1398898761_thumb.jpg

Flappy Bird is stealing Mario's pipes. This means war! In response, Mario has torpedoed Flappy Bird's supply ship. Salvage all 10 pipes to give Mario back his mojo. 

- Use the arrow keys to move. 
- A and Z to surface/dive. 
- Space to grapple or release pipes. 

The game was created using PlayCanvas, the cloud-hosted game engine. The game is powered by WebGL and HTML5. You'll need a WebGL enabled browser to play it. Chrome, Firefox, Opera and IE11 should be fine.

PLAY NOW

If you want to explore, fork or modify the game, go here.

Played it for a while last night, only grabbed the first 3 pipes.  Nice relaxing game.  Controls nicely & ran with zero problems on Chrome.  Just lacked something to make me play till completion, maybe some obstacles/enemies to avoid too.  Unless they occur after later in the game, then ignore that.

I nearly ran out of fuel trying to pick up/grapple a "fuel tank" then realised I had to land on the yellow and black area :)

Haha, I love it that you tried to grapple the fuel tank. :)

The problem with Ludum Dare is that you only get 48 hours and I had to go out Saturday night. Adding the things you mention make a lot of sense. I hope I can develop the game a bit further now that the jam is over. Thanks very much for the feedback though!!

Haha, I love it that you tried to grapple the fuel tank. :)

The problem with Ludum Dare is that you only get 48 hours and I had to go out Saturday night. Adding the things you mention make a lot of sense. I hope I can develop the game a bit further now that the jam is over. Thanks very much for the feedback though!!

I thought my spacebar was broke at one point trying to refuel.  You were also swore at for creating a broken game.  Then the ah moment, when I discovered I was being a numpty :)

Even more impressive that you didn't use the whole 48hrs.