BMP vs Jpeg

nunziox

I made my game in js using phaser.

My game is wrapped into android app using the  WebView, therefore all resources are stored in local.

My question is:

In term of performance the best solution is use bmp images (without compression) or jpeg images?

As far as I know, BMP is never a file format of choice to be used in games (at least not even one time in my years of coding games)

One reason being BMP is like, well as Rich put it above, monstrous in terms of file size.

With JPG, you can compress it down to Quality 5-6 and can still get away with a pretty decent result

If your game is pixel-art style, you can try even lower quality to save more bytes

If your game is pixel-art style, you can try even lower quality to save more bytes

I strongly recommend you do not use JPEG for anything other than images with photographic origins (i.e. pictures of people, landscapes etc) and definitely do not use it for pixel art, as even at higher qualities it will introduce unwanted artifacts and noise around the edges of shapes and other high contrast areas. In nearly all cases PNG will be the best choice for assets, as it also allows for transparency - something JPEG does not support, and BMP has inconsistent support for. With the added step of running your assets through tinypng you will get a great combination of perfectly sharp and accurate assets with a small file size.