[WIP] #lowrezjam Roguelike

MrFlibble78

ZVMdJla.png

I've uploaded my current WIP #lowrezjam roguelike.  The game is almost fully playable.  You can find the exit and move deeper down the mazes and you can also die, but most item functionality is missing.

Here is the maze generation algorithm in action.  It uses Prim's Algorithm and creates always solvable mazes.

OYPDoQW.gif

Here is the games combat where I take on a rather badly drawn pixel skeleton.  Then beat another badly drawn sprite but this time a snake.

CP2Yem2.gif

Lastly here is the inventory in action.

UsDr2To.gif

You can try out the game at it's GameJolt page HERE.

Any feedback would be great, especially if you came up with a name.

Thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to play :)

I don't think it needs 2 space movement myself but thought it would have suggested.

Will try and fit a loading bar on the generation screen.  It was the same when I tested it on my tablet.  The generation code is not very suited to mobile processors I don't think and it's unlikely I could speed it up, I just don't have the skills.

For anyone not wanting to play via GameJolt you can try it - HERE - it can be played via a mobile browser just give the generation screen time :)

Thanks for playing :)

You could call it high-rez-dungeon :)

(Whaaat? .. yeah, compaired to my dungeon crawler for the low-rez-jam it is indeed high-detailed .. my main character is 2px - link in signature)

I like your random maze generation.. mine ist using a premade map (made with tiled) .. but I have a half completed generator.

Maybe I'll build an endless version.. (but maybe not, because it's so much work.. for a low rez game that nobody will every player more then 5 minutes ^^)

You could call it high-rez-dungeon :)

(Whaaat? .. yeah, compaired to my dungeon crawler for the low-rez-jam it is indeed high-detailed .. my main character is 2px - link in signature)

I like your random maze generation.. mine ist using a premade map (made with tiled) .. but I have a half completed generator.

Maybe I'll build an endless version.. (but maybe not, because it's so much work.. for a low rez game that nobody will every player more then 5 minutes ^^)

I had a maze generator already complete but it was slower and gave weird results.  I rewrote it again for a friend during the jam and couldn't resist using it.

Go for a endless version of your game.  Even if it's just as a side project to work on every now and then.  I really enjoyed it.

I've updated the game for anyone interested.

Added the chance of enemy drops on death.

Ta41s53.gif

Added the teleport item.

OF8n6ZS.gif

Here is the full changelog.

• Added a generating % to the generation screen.
  • Sped up map & inventory sliding onto the screen.
  • Fixed a problem with the inventory.
  • You now click the inventory bag to close it.
  • Improved the inventory Left & Right buttons.
  • You can now click 2 squares from player he will still only move 1 square.
  • Updated some keyboard controls - Better to use the mouse at this point.
  • Broke the inventory again & fixed it again - I think??!!
  • Added potion usage. Using a potion will restore half of your lost health.
  • Fixed the @ sign in the map not conforming to jam rules. Thanks 8bit-ninja.
  • Fixed the health bar not conforming to jam rules.
  • Added item drops when killing an enemy.
  • Added Teleport item usage (purple burst). Will randomly teleport player to exit, moneybag, chest or random position. May also randomly fail to teleport too.
  • Added GameJolt highscores for money on death.

You can try it out at GameJolt.