Node.js with or without PHP

Kobaltic

I am working on a MP game. I am going to use Node.js to handle the networking. My question is should I use node.js to also handle the database work or should I send it off to PHP and have PHP handle the database and return the results to node.js. I would like to use PHP as I am much more skilled in it. I would learn more node.js if the pay off is better in performance or some other logical gain. Thoughts? Thanks,

I don't see any reason why to use two different tools.

Pick a language (be it JS / PHP or what you feel comfortable with) and do all with it.

I see this way: you'll have a lot of work making the server side logic. Why to expend time learning a tool you don't dominate? After all, you want to make a game not to learn Node.js, right?

I've been in the same situation recently. I had much more knowledge with PHP and have made a lot of complex apps using the Framework Laravel which I love, but for multiplayer stuff I have been playing around a lot with node. In my opinion it is suited better than PHP for creating multiplayer systems, and if you are coding your game in Javascript it is nice to be able to code the server side stuff alongside in the same language. (Plus, diversifying your skills is always good!)

Anyway I definitely wouldn't try and mash the two together. If you have got this far with node you probably won't have much trouble linking it up to a db and using it for everything. I find most of the node modules have really great instructions so its easy to get set up :)

Hi,

I agree with Zef, it's easier to maintain a software using the same langage. Futhermore, if you are skilled in PHP and its tools, you'll see how easy nodejs is. In fact, lot of people using nodejs today are people from PHP.

Anyway, whatever your choice, have fun :)