Marbles

tim_shaw

Hi guys

My name is Tim, this is my first post here. And in the begining many thanks to creators of this forum.

Great place to learn about HTML5 game dev!

I'd like to show you my first HTML5 game "Marbles"

You can play it here:  http://www.marketjs.com/game/marbles

It's simple match 3 in the core but gameplay is different from usual. There's no grid and you can drag marbles anywhere around the screen.

The game is made in Construct 2

Hope you like it!

Cheers!

post-3936-0-05260300-1370357252.png

This is really cool. I'm really into trying to think of puzzle games that are a little bit different. It's nice to see a new spin on the match 3 idea. The graphics look nice too.

I know it would be harder to program, but if the marbles moved like marbles and you could flick them around trying to match them, that would be an awesome game.

Dream Of Sleeping,

Glad that you like it! Actually in first version of the game you could move marbles and they even bounced on collision. You had to pull back thread and the more you pulled the stronger was impulse. Don't know why but I came up with some unpredictible gameplay, when player doesn't fully control the situation on the area: the orbs just bounced from each other and disapeared constantly (according to match 3 rules). Then I decided to make things much easier and to concentrate on completing the game. In fact that first concept was really cool and you're right it can be a very interesting game. Plus now, after some time I know what must be fixed in that mech to make things work nice (at least I think so)

If the marbles disappeared constantly in the older version, did that mean the ball didn't have to actually come to a stop next to the right colour? If you only counted a match once the ball and stopped that might might make it hard enough. How long have you been working on this, if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, they disapeared before they stop because the game checked for completed chains every tick. In fact I don't think that it's imposible to unite match 3 logic and billiard style of movement. Also the software I use to create the game is powerful enough. I just hadn't enough knowledge for that moment. 

I made this game from scratch in about 3 weeks