[wip]a keep the ball up game

morpbz

This is one of those 'click the ball to keep it from falling' games.

You collect stars by hitting them with he ball, and The floor rises, so you take a shield to protect you from it (a blue orb).

Afterwards the floor returns to normal and the game goes on for a minute.

I wanted to finish the game before asking for feedback, but then I got a suggestion that made me expand the game and put more work into it. Unfortunately, I keep running into low fps and p2 problems, so I decided to at least show what I have so far.

Here it is: http://goo.gl/VFokVH

My current todo list:

- fix the graphics. Loading screen and main menu should have a night sky background. A few other graphics problems.

- improve loading time.

- improve performance.

- come up with a name.

Please say what you think about it, if it looks (almost) presentable, if gameplay is too boring ( since it's hard for me to tell, since I made it).

Thank you all.

Hmm, the games is too large to play on my laptop (1366x768), you can conside make it scaling dynamically.

I don't have problem with the concept, but I think P2 is overkill for this type of gameplay. You can use basic physic and collission calculation to make game with this behaviour (if you use PhaserJS, you can use the Arcade physics). I think it will be lighter and fps will be faster/stable.

Good luck!

Cool game! An addictive one :)

Maybe make the entry level a bit easier? I find it difficult :P

Looking at the performance flame chart for the game in chrome devtools, it looks like the p2 physics takes up about 4-10% of a game update. Not a huge problem in other words. There's an .updateText() method taking up around 40% though, which you might want to have a closer look at.

Here's how the flame chart in chrome devtools works:

http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/developertools/revolutions2013/#toc-flame-chart (make sure to enable high precision timers in Devtools/Settings/General/High resolution CPU profiling).

Stefan

Schteppe, Thank you very much for pointing out updateText. I experimented with extending Phaser, and added some text functionality that has a performance bug. Since I fixed it the game gets almost 60 fps on IPad mini.

As for difficulty, I'm still trying to find the balance between too easy and too hard.