Phaser canvas placement

oddskill

Hello.

Im totally new to Phaser HTML5 and CSS.

I have basic html knowledge and a decent background in java programming,

I only have limited knowledge about javascript. 

I wrote following simple html5 page showing a bouncing sprite using Phaser.

http://oddskill.bplaced.net/bouncingcow/index.html

Why is the  "a href" in the index.html (the link to the zipped sourcecode) shown above the Phaser canvas?

I did place the call to the javascript (which creates the canvas if i understood that right) below that "a href".

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards.

Chris

PS: sourcecode below  

index.thml

<!doctype html> <html lang="en">   <head>     <meta charset="UTF-8" />    <title>Bouncing Cow</title>    <link rel="stylesheet" href="css/style.css">    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/phaser.min.js"></script>  </head>  <body>    <h1>BOUNCING COW<h1>    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/bouncingcow.js"></script>    <a href="bouncingcow.zip">sourcecode</a>   </body></html>

bouncingcow.js

var game = new Phaser.Game(500, 500, Phaser.CANVAS, '', { preload: preload, create: create, update: update });var img;function preload() {  game.load.image('cow', './assets/cow2_bg_white.png');}function create() {  game.stage.backgroundColor = '#00ff00';  game.physics.startSystem(Phaser.Physics.ARCADE);  img = game.add.sprite(20, 20, 'cow');  game.physics.enable(img, Phaser.Physics.ARCADE);  img.body.velocity.x=100;  img.body.velocity.y=100;  img.body.collideWorldBounds = true;  img.body.bounce.set(1);  img.anchor.setTo(0.5, 0.5);}function update() {  }

style.css

body {  background: #000000;  width:100%}h1{  color: #ffffff;  text-align: center;}/*center canvas*/canvas {    margin: auto;   }

The answer is that it is loading your html first then your javascript. Your <script src> tag acts like an include or require keyword. You are trying to call it more as a function. So here is how to fix it. Move your <script src> tags into the <head> of your html as you did with the first one. So your index should look like this:

<!doctype html> <html lang="en">   <head>     <meta charset="UTF-8" />    <title>Bouncing Cow</title>    <link rel="stylesheet" href="css/style.css">    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/phaser.min.js"></script>  <script type="text/javascript" src="js/bouncingcow.js"></script>  </head>  <body>    <h1>BOUNCING COW<h1>    <a id="zip" href="bouncingcow.zip">sourcecode</a>   </body></html>

Note I also added an id to your anchor tag.

Next css allows you to use generic tags, classes and ids. You used a generic h1. This will make all h1 tags follow those same rules. I personally don't like this and I use classes and ids. A class is for a group of common items that you want to be the same. An id refereneces only one element. You cannot reuse Id names. In css you define and id with a #  symbol and a class with a . (period) symbol. So your css should look something like this (note your positions will most likely be different.

body {  background: #000000;  width:100%}h1{  color: #ffffff;  text-align: center;}/*center canvas*/canvas {    margin: auto;   }#zip {     top: 50%;     left: 200px;     position: absolute;}#container {     top: 5%;     left: 100px;     position: absolute;}

I also added a container id that will be your canvas. As you can see you can mix % and px to find your correct spot on the screen. For now just use position: absolute. There are others but I am not going to cover them now.

Next you need to set an id to your canvas.

var game = new Phaser.Game(500, 500, Phaser.CANVAS, 'container', { preload: preload, create: create, update: update });

Now go and play with the left and top values of your canvas and zip file to get them where you want them to be.

edit: fixed typos