My Assortment of Games

sanojian

I am a hobbyist game programmer and here is a collection of various HTML5 games I have made over the last two years

http://sanojian.github.io/homePage/home.html

Most of these were written using Craftyjs or vanilla javascript for compos or game jams.

I would like to spend some time learning Phaser and mobile development and would love to hear any feedback on which of these games is worth porting?  Which is totally not?

Also, if anyone wants to collaborate and likes my style, send me a message.

I liked the gameplay in "Planetary"; then again, that one was a flash game, so it might be difficult to it port to mobile. Mountain King had nice visuals too; I'd love to play it on mobile with an AI.

Are you planning on writing a mobile port from scratch in java / objective-C, or will you reuse javascript logic and wrap it with e.g. PhoneGap / Cordova?

Actually "Planetary" is also HTML5.  I used raphaeljs so the game is just one big SVG.  When I wrote it there was not very good SVG support in mobile but maybe that has changed?

AI is a good idea for "Mountain King".  Its very frustrating to write a multi-player game when you never seem to get more than one player at a time  Thanks for the kind words about the visuals.  I have been working very hard to improve my programmer art.

I am planning to stay with HTML5 and wrap it but I know very little about it.  Unfortunately Craftyjs does not play well with mobile wrappers so I need to port to Phaser or another more compatible engine.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've published a handful of Cordova-based apps in the App Store, if you have any questions about preparing a mobile version, let me know. I haven't played with Crafty, but it might work in Cordova too. It depends on which platforms you'd like to target, e.g. Android has worse performance when it comes to hybrid apps than iOS. Might be best to take an actual device, run the game and see for yourself. "Hankerin Rocket Jocks" seemed to have sufficient framerate on my iPhone 5.

I'll be working with SVG while improving one of my apps, I've been considering Snap.svg . It's an open source JS library sponsored by adobe, it looks promising.

I have been reading that performance with Cordova/PhoneGap is pretty poor, especially on Android.  Maybe my knowledge is out-dated?

https://www.scirra.com/blog/85/the-great-html5-mobile-gaming-performance-comparison

What do you think of that report?

My games often push against the frame rate so I would rather use CocoonJS but Crafty does some kind of DOM manipulation that makes it incompatible.

I've looked at the article; it's from 2012, since then in-app browser performance has improved and continues to do so (e.g. WKWebView in the upcoming iOS 8). Then again, Android still stays behind. I'd say it's ok today to build hybrid apps with Cordova for iOS and you have to be more careful if you want do to it for Android, but it's doable.

I haven't played with CocoonJS yet, cannot say anything about them.