Strange webGL results on IOS8

spencerTL

Finally downloaded iOS8 today as there's only a short time to go before it is live and I've been looking forward to webGL on it.  I'm getting some very strange results.  All of my stuff uses AUTO on Phaser creation so uses webGL where available.  They are all displaying like there is a color missing .  SO for instance everything that is green is yellow and it is all much more faded than it should be.

I've looked at Phaser's on line examples on those that also use AUTO display this problem as well.  For example Breakout and Tanks are all faded but the TIght Patformer example is not, but that is created using CANVAS.  I've attached a screen grab in case it is device dependent.  I'm testing on an iPad 2 with the iOS8 downloadable today (Gold Master?)

EDIT It isn't PIXI as the bunnymark works fine on the same device.

I hope this is an Apple glitch and they put it right quickly.post-5557-0-45722400-1410361535.png

On one of my games I use quite a pure blue and it displays as a pale green.  There is also some pure yellow on the loading bar  and this is not displayed at all so I presume yellow, at least, is omitted.  Strangely on a game I have done in Phaser pre v2  there is no problem.  All of my others though are done on version 2 + and they all have the issue.

I wondered if this might be just restricted to Safari, but having wrapped a game in Phonegap, it also occurs in the web view.

If anyone else has iOS8, I'd be grateful if they could check the Tanks or Breakout examples in the online Phaser Example page just to rule out it being restricted purely to my iPad.

EDIT: actually it can' t be just my device as it does the same in the Xcode emulator. This is worrying as it means that next week everything I have on line will cease to display properly on iPads as they start to utilise webGL after updating. Having the problem at such a late stage and across Xcode and device also makes me think it is not something that will be addressed from Apple's end. Hmmm what to do...

That's fixed it!  I needed the page background to be blue but setting the game div background to black did the trick.  The IE11 thing was my line of enquiry, i noticed the check in the source and wondered if the 'washed out' in the comments was what I was getting.   I was getting worried I'd have to rebuild everything I'd uploaded but now I just need to change a line or two in each index.html - much easier.  If I hadn't been sloppy enough to use inline styles could have sorted it with just a css change.

Thanks for the solution.

It might be worth putting in the templates a comment that the canvas is safest over a black background so that people are less likely to encounter this in case of another webGL implementation with the same effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I was trying everything to get the WebGL version working on iOS 8. I would never have figured this out on my own.

Seeing something may or may not be related. On iOS 8 when I use AUTO sounds might play once or twice then stop. If I switch back to CANVAS the sounds play fine. I'll do some more testing and try to come up with a stripped down test case.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...