What kind of game can we built with babylon?

Adrian

Sky is the limit! :)

More seriously, it really depends on lot of factors (as usual):

- CPU & GPU power

- Number of triangles you'd like to display

- Textures

- Effects

Still, for this specific open world scenario we've implemented 2 features to maintain good performance:

- very good optimized octree

- incremental loader

- frustrum

David

I like your answer !

so if i want to create a forest for example, something big, what would be the process ? i'm not asking you to do the job for me, but i want to understand the process. Should i create the field in a 3D software like Vue, blender etc ... Or simply create ground with maybe height map directly in babylon ? Where should i start looking for ?

And for information it seems like the babylon converter doesn't work here is the error message :

There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/exportservice that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.

Any solution for that ?

...so if i want to create a forest for example, something big, what would be the process ? i'm not asking you to do the job for me, but i want to understand the process. Should i create the field in a 3D software like Vue, blender etc ... Or simply create ground with maybe height map directly in babylon ? Where should i start looking for ?

So, a few thoughts drawing on my experience as a game artist:

Creating a forest is more ambiguous than it may seem. Presumably, you want an environment where a player is navigating *through* a forest, correct? There are many sources of free textured models of trees, but they generally fall into one of two categories:

1. Fully detailed trees with alpha-textured boughs of leaves & individual branches, etc. These usually look best, but they are expensive.
  2. Billboard trees, merely a picture of a tree mapped to a flat plane. These are much faster to render, & (in many cases,) they look just fine.

In order to pull off the illusion, you're probably going to want to use a combination of both. Do you have a limited area where the player can move? Use fully-meshed trees there. Fill in the borders with some billboard trees. Most packages will generate a terrain grid for you. Download one you like, or generate one using a "noise"-image as a displacement map.

There's really no limit to how much you can embellish your forest. Tufts of grass using alpha transparency will add a lot to the ground, & a sound loop of wind & birds chirping will go a long ways towards making your forest feel realistic. Experiment and have fun!

Thanks all !

I will take a look at this instances demo.

PickPacket, thanks for sharing your experience ! i'm not in an esthetic process, i have a tree modeled in google sketchup and plan to use it for now (if the online converter works again ;) I'll do some test to "populate" a heightmapped ground with thousands of trees !

Joshcamas, wish you good luck for your project ! Let us know about your progress !